BIOS backup utility

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
adminravi
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

Is there any utility to backup my bios into a floppy disk? If yes, then also let me know if I can open the backed up bios in my windows xp from floppy with some text editor like notepad or not.

Regards,
Ravi
RobertR.
Master Flasher

you would need to use a BIOS flash utility and choose back up BIOS from the menu. But i am not shure if note pad will read it, the file will be a binary file.
adminravi

Thnx, no problem if it doesnot open in notepad. but pls give me a link to download the flash utility to backup my bios in floppy. Is there any compatibility issue for the flash utility? Anyways, I just wanted to backup my bios into a floppy and restore it whenever needed.

Moreover, I would like to know, if there is a program to take screen shot of my bios settings so the i can open it in windows as jpg or any other format.

Regards,
Ravi Verma
RobertR.
Master Flasher

if you would like a flash utility, i will need your BIOS information. Use this to find it: http://esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm. When you get the information, copy and past the information on this form.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

www.uniflash.org

Might not work with the newest chipset but supports old chipsets fine. Read documentation.
adminravi

Hi,
Thanks everybody. Now I am clear that no single utility can be used for all motherboads. I am posting my motherboard's information:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.44
BIOS Date: 02/01/01
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 02/01/2001-i810E-47B27X-ATC7401MC
OEM Sign-On: ATC7401E VER:2.1r01
Chipset: Intel Whitney 82810E rev 3
Superio: SMC LPC47M10x rev 0 found at port 2Eh
CPU: Pentium® III (0.18 µm) With 256 KB On-Die L2 Cache 634 MHz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
Memory Installed: 254 MB
Memory Maximum: Unknown
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Uniflash should work with i810E chipset
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
adminravi

NickS wrote:Uniflash should work with i810E chipset
I think you are not sure, anyway, can I try Uniflash to backup my bios settings in hard disk or floppy disk without harming my motherboard.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

adminravi wrote:.. can I try Uniflash to backup my bios settings in hard disk or floppy disk without harming my motherboard.
Sounds like you want to back up your CMOS settings? Backing up your BIOS will back up your DPMI information, but as the DPMI data is rechecked every switch-on I don't know that this will be of any use. You should be able to find on the Web several utilities to back up and restore CMOS (I wrote one in GWBASIC many years ago). For example: this. These generally operate under a real-mode operating system such as DOS.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
stephan_g
BIOS Newbie

I thought this would sort of fit into this thread: If anyone else should be looking for a small utility to dump an old 386's AMIBIOS to disk, a search turned up this:
http://www.linuks.mine.nu/ree/
Have yet to try it there, but the DOS exe is just 9K and seems to work in an NT5 DOS box here. Not as useful for more recent compressed system BIOSes, of course. (It's mainly intended for dumping expansion roms.)