Need to find a Phoenix BIOS editor

Only for programmers and BIOS gurus with technical questions.
stonecoldtx
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi, all--

I just purchased a new Shuttle X 100 for a CarPC project I'm working on, and the BIOS in it is excessively restrictive; there are very few entries that are actually shown, and even fewer where any actual changes can be made.

I need a Phoenix BIOS editor to unlock some of the settings, and to insert a new fullscreen logo file.

I was reading through a bunch of posts regarding the BNOBTC from Borg Number One, and after searching for posts from him, I saw that he has decided to discontinue it's release; coincidentally, it appears that the BNOBTC contains about the ONLY Phoenix BIOS editor utility I've been able to find.

Thus, the reason for my post--if anyone knows of any OTHER utility that can edit a Phoenix BIOS, please respond.

Borg Number One--I understand your reason for discontinuing your work, but I would be more than happy to contribute to your work if you would start it up again. Perhaps that would cause more people to join in . . .

Anything anyone can do to assist would be greatly appreciated . . .

Thanks in advance!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Shuttle is using Award/Phoenix bioses that can be handled by an Award editor???
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
stonecoldtx

Hi, edwin--

No, the BIOS I have on this machine cannot be opened or modified by any of the Award tools I've tried to use with it.

In a Hex editor, I could see some of the information, but it was too incomprehensible for me to decipher.

I finally figured out that it was "Phoenix" ONLY when I used "WinPhlash" to save a copy of it to my machine--the award flashers I tried wouldn't work because I didn't have a BIOS file to use as the first name in the syntax (awflash requires [filename to flash] [filename to save] /switches syntax, and there are no BIOS updates for this machine--it's too new).

So, I do indeed need a PHOENIX BIOS editor.

Borg Number One--could you please respond?

Thanks In Advance!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

wow. interesting to know they're still around...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
bofors

Last edited by bofors on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join MacEFIx86
help build a better hackintosh.
stonecoldtx

Hi, bofors--

Thanks for the link!

I downloaded it and installed it, and it appears to be the trial version of 2.0.18E (at least, that's what it said in the "Help|About" dialog box).

I will give this a try, and see if I can edit the file I have, though from what I have read, I'm not sure it will actually "save" a file I've "edited", but hey--it's worth a try anyway!

Again, Thanks!
stonecoldtx

Well, I tried to open the BIOS file with the Phoenix Bios Editor I downloaded, but it was unsuccessful.

It seemed to indicate that it was a completely different type of BIOS and errored out several times before it finally refused to continue.

Borg Number One--I contributed to your BNOBTC fund . . . could you please at least help me out privately in some way?

Thanks!
bofors

stonecoldtx wrote:Well, I tried to open the BIOS file with the Phoenix Bios Editor I downloaded, but it was unsuccessful.
Although it mainly in Chinese, you might want to dig in the main page of http://biosrepair.com . They have a lot of stuff listed.

Here is the English translation by Google: http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools
Last edited by bofors on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join MacEFIx86
help build a better hackintosh.
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

Dear stonecoldtx,

1.)
Thank you for your donation to keep the projects:
+ BIOS modifications
+ BIOS related eMail help
+ realtime desktop service

...online/available.

2.)
Regarding to your exemplary donation you deserve a decent BIOS related support.

Introduction

You should know that there are currently not many Phoenix BIOS modifications possible.

For example, unlocking BIOS menus/settings is not possible with the Phoenix BIOS Editor.

Possible BIOS modifications

But you can update/exchange/replace/remvove:
+ BIOS logo
+ CPU microcode
+ Network BootROM (e.g.: exchanging Intel PXE with EtherBoot)
+ RAID controller BIOS

Furthermore you can set / change the BIOS default settings.
It is also possible to modify/translate/rename the BIOS strings and the default DMI strings inside a Phoenix BIOS file.

Here you can get information about more possible BIOS modifications:
http://bnobtc.pix-art.com/en

Referring to your current BIOS modification request:
Just send me the logo, you want to use as new BIOS splash screen.

If your logo is stored in a original project file format (Gimp project file / Adobe xxxx project file, post script, pdf, ...) then send me the file please.
BIOS backup - Multi BIOS - prevent a BIOS update failure:
RD1 BIOS Savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw
stonecoldtx

Hi, Borg Number One--thanks for responding--I appreciate your assitance!

The BIOS on this machine appears to be VERY new, it even has an animated full-screen logo!

I would be happy to send that BIOS file to you (the one I captured from the machine), as well as the Full-screen logo I would like to replace it with, but each time I try to access the "Contact me here" link on your website (in order to send the files to you), I get a "Verboten" (forbidden) message.

Can you PM me an e-mail address to where I can send the files I have?

Once you see the BIOS file, I think you will see why I've been so frustrated in my attempts to modify it.

I tried the Chines site link mentioned in the post by borfors, but none of the utilities posted there are new enough to accomplish any modifications or editing of this version of the Phoenix BIOS code.

What I'm interested in doing is not only exchanging the Full-Screen logo, but also unlocking the settings that one would normally see in a standard motherboard (such as memory timings, onboard device enable/disable, etc.), and perhaps you can help me with those things.

Again, Thanks!