CMOS Battery Failure?

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
wimos
New visitors - please read the rules.

Need some help with this problem.

My computer has worked fine for the past 4-5 months I've owned it until I opened the case to install a case fan on the top. Simple. After installation, I powered the PC back up and got an error message on the BIOs screen saying: "CMOS Battery Low" and "CMOS Date/Time Not Set". I set the date and time and continued as normal. Everything was fine except I could no longer see any icons in the notification area. Changing the Bios date/time didn't seem to do anything as the PC's system date was still wrong; off by about a year.

On some advice, I kept the PC running for 24 hours to charge the CMOS battery, and finally restarted the PC due to a system update from Microsoft. The PC turned back on, but I couldn't see anything from the monitor, and did not hear the 'beep' from the motherboard. I made sure it wasn't my graphics card by swapping, which did nothing. I bought and replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, and powered the PC back on and I got the same two error messages at the BIOs screen. After updating the date and time again, I continued to logon no problems, however I still can not see my notification area and I still had to manually change the system date and time.

What happened to the PC?? I thought that by changing the battery the issue would go away but it doesn't seem to have done anything. What do I need to do to fix this problem? Is this a sign of the motherboard going bad? Any support would be appreciated.

By the way, how about the ASUS A32-F3 Batterij? I want to buy one and My computer is it time to retire?

BIOSTAR A770E3
PH II X4 955 Black Series 3.2Ghz (unmodified)
Rendition DDR3 10600 12 GB (unmodified)
Nvidia 450 GTS (unmodified)
Antec 550 Watt PSU
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Replace the CR2032 3V lithium coin cell battery located a bit left of the memory slots with a brand new one.

Support for your board:
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/int ... _ID=450#dl
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...