Unreliable Startup

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
harry
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi folks. I have an Intel 915 GAV boxpacked board with 2 GB DDR ram, 80 GB SATA drive. A few days back I have started having a rather peculiar problem. The computer starts the moment I switch on the main power supply on the mains switchboard, it does not wait for me to press the power switch on the computer. Sometimes the system does not start at all thought the green LED present on the motherboard indication presence of power supply is lit. When left alone for 5-10 hrs without the supply connected the matter gets resolved and the system starts booting again when connected with the supply, giving an error of 'CMOS/GPNV checksum bad'. The time/date settings are also lost. I have tried to change the battery but the reliability of the system to start remains the same. I have also tried to flash the BIOS with the new updated one.
Once working the system works normally and shuts down properly.

Please help
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Sounds like a power supply issue. Was that bought at the same time as the board or is it older?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
harry

I have changed the power supply also. Now I am using a 400 W smps. the previous one was a 350 w but the same problem remains. Someting to do with the signal which is given by the power switch to the SMPS to start working. I dont know much please throw some light.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The reason I ask this is because there is many electronics out there with bad capacitors that can cause intermittent failures. I'll check if there are any specific known issues with this board though.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
harry

Maybe you are right, what is the exact procedure/ actions which happen when the power switch is pressed. Some signal would be going back to the smps to give it a go ahead to give full supply on all its terminals.
I say this because most of the times the computer starts the moment power cord is plugged into the mains power socket.