No Video

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
kleenex
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey all-
This problem just happend recently.
Whenever i try to boot my computer up, it sounds like all the drives work fine and everything but i get no video. I reseated my vid card, ram, etc. which did nothing. I also took every component out that wasnt required, but still nothing. I also reset the CMOS but that didnt help. Thinking it was the processor, i switched out the processor with another one but still no video. I've seen previous posts about this problem but it has never really been solved.
Can someone help me??
thanks
soupy
Absentee administrator

Still the PC Chips M805LR?

Tried new RAM? Tried a new vid card?
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
kleenex

soupy -
i have 2 computers.
Oddly enough, they both have the same problem, no video..
One comp has the PCChips board and the main comp that i use has a Gigabyte motherboard in it. The PCChips board has an ATI Rage 128+ card and the Gigabyte has the GeForce card. I know its not the card and ive switched processors to make sure it wasnt the processor at fault. I havnt tried reseating the RAM, I will try when i get home from work though.
This is so strange because both computers have the exact same problem.
Let me explain how this problem began..
I bought a new HSF for the gigabyte board (Socket A, AMD Athlon 1.2ghz) and when i attempted to put it on the processor, it slipped and scratched the CPU's L1 and L2 chips on the CPU :cry:
The other processor on the PCCHips board (Socket A, AMD Duron 950mhz), when i put it in the comp to begin with, I used a way undersized HSF and it overheated (of coarse i shut it off right away). Im not sure if i wrecked both CPU's but im pretty sure the 950mhz CPU is still good. The 1.2ghz im skeptical about though. ANYWAYS, both computers have the exact same problem, they boot up, drives work, but no display. I've also tried a different monitor but that didnt help either. I didnt mess with any jumpers or anything either. I'm thinking of getting another CPU just to test and make sure its not the CPU at fault.
Like I said, I read up on gigabytes tech page and they said it could be pretty much 2 things, Bad RAM or Bad CPU.
So I am thinking i need a new CPU 8O
kleenex

okay i took out the ram and put in good ram that i know for a fact works.
Still no video. If anyone can help me, please speak up. I notice that several other people have had the same question. I think that if someone finds an answer, this should go in the FAQ.
thanks
kleenex

ok check this out..
I found this post on another tech page.
I did the EXACT same thing he did, tried putting the CPU from the board that doesnt send a video signal into a good board and now the good board doesnt work either!!
That is why both my computers do not send a video signal.
Noone could find a solution to this problem.

Here was his message:

My 13 year old son and I built a computer for him using the K7S5A MB, XP 1700+, GeForce MX200 64MB video card, 2 sticks of PNY 128MB PC133 SDRAM, and 400 watt PSU that is within ECS specs.

When the computer booted, I went immediately into the Setup because I knew I was going to have to change a few settings like FSB, which I changed to 133/133, and date and time. I made the changes, did a reboot, and nothing. It powers up, but doesn't boot. No beep or anything - not even video signal. I had done some reading before on people having that problem with this motherboard, and a very common solution has been to reseat the video card. So I did that, but nothing.

I changed the jumper on the motherboard to reset the CMOS, and nothing. I unplugged the HDD and CD-ROM, and still nothing. Put in only one stick of memory, nothing. Swapped his PC133 for my PC2100 DDR thinking I had the wrong memory timing set, and nothing.

Then I got the bright idea that maybe it was a bad processor, and decided to try it out in mine (I have a system built around a K7S5A MB and XP 1800+ with 1 stick of PC2100 DDR memory). So I removed the processor from my computer and put his CPU in my working computer, and nothing happend upon boot. So I'm all happy because I think I have the problem isolated - bad CPU. I put my processor back in my computer and fired it up....and nothing!!! Now I have two dead computers! They both do the same thing. They fire up, the HDD whirrs, lights on the CDROM and HDD alternate back and forth, and nothing else. No video signal or anything. Hate to think that I took a bad processor and stuck it in my motherboard and fried that too! I'm very puzzled by the fact that my computer, which has been running like a Swiss watch, is now dead after dropping his CPU into it.

Any ideas?
kleenex

Well -
I took the computer i built into a local shop and they tested the 950mhz CPU and claimed it to be DOA. That still doesnt explain why my other computer does the same thing after testing the DOA CPU in my gigabyte board, and now the gigabyte board doesnt boot with my original CPU (1.2ghz). Maybe I fried both of em, i dunno.
If anyone may know why this is happening, please feel free to post.
Otherwise im just going to get 2 new CPUs.
thanks