600E Processor compability problem

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

From the MMC-2 I can not find any folio going from 34B to - .. There's not folio connecting to it. My wild guess is that there is a folio under the white MMC-2 piece itself, or I don't have the right pin, which would be not likely. It is the morning here, gotta go to work, but when I get back I'll try that, unless you have something else for me to do on this before hehehe *Pictures are sent*
Women, can do without 'em, can't do without 'em
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

So sharedoc, did the pictures helped? I just got back from work, and now need to wait for the wife to get back with the car so I can buy a new supply of resistances and stuff.. :)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

I got the pics, thanks.

From clock generator pin#25 there is a short folio and passthrough to the upside of the motherboard. Can you find that folio and search for a pull-down resistor (resistor to GND)? Motherboard is propably multilayered, so the folio can be hidden, but the passthrough should be visible on the upside.
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

From pin#25, looking at the motherboard the same way you can look at it on the picture, the tiny folio that goes south-east for a little over a quarter inch and then passtrough, I toke the passtrough just next to it as a reference point, but doesn't appear on the frontside of the motherboard. On the frontside, my reference point does come out right on top of R153, if I follow my guts, my wild guess is that from there, the tiny passtrough coming out right on the leftside of the "3" of R153 could be it. But I got nothing to test continuity, might borrow my boss's tester for that :) What do you think? It wouldn't make any sence tho, since that that tiny folio, if you follow it it gets you to R164, which is empty..
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Sorry, I am not sure if can follow the numbering. I wonder if R153 is the pull-down resistor? What is the txt on the resistor, is is 474?

Is the numbering of components same as here

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... &start=270
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

The marking of the resistors are not marked the same, since my motherboard differs a little bit from that one, but I can still manage to figure out what is what comparing the 2 of them. BUT,

I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. On the picture that Katch provided on the link you provided, the 8% overclock consist of attaching a 1K ohm resistor on R164 to C21 right? So, from R164, if I count 2 up, according to the little "chart" printed on the board itself, that resistor should be R153. Right?

If I'm right, the marking on it is "103" .. Actually, all 6 tiny resistors(consisting of R153, R157, R164, R120 & R121) are marked "103".
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

I tried to go with a 1k resistor from #48 to #25, and tested the voltage, there was 2.6v. So I proceeded with the boot with the P3-500mhz, and by the time windows finished loading, the screen went blank and the thing powered itself off. I had the thing in front of me, and no smoke no nothing, lol

However, now she won't powerup..
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Good news: Started to boot at 100MHz bus
Bad news: Didn't finish booting
Really bad news: Does not boot anymore.

Is it completely dead? How are the indicator lights?

Next thing is to check if there was permanent damage done. So take off the extra 1kohm resistor and try to boot.

If it boots ok, then we might have found 100MHzbus but it was for some reason not stabile.

If it doesn't boot, then there is a question of finding what broke down. It might be either motherboard or processor. You can determine which one is faulty by trying your old PII processor in 600E motherboard. If it boots, then PIII-500 has problem. If it doesn't boot, 600E motherboad has a problem.

What type/amount memory yiu have in 600E?
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

I have the plain and simple PC66-32mb onboard crap, plus 1 stick 64mb PC100 for testing purposes.. I tried with both processors, and it won't powerup with the P3, but powers up with the P2. Now that I think of it I replaced that processor a while back now in my 600X because of that. Small brain that I have lol How ever, no the machine is not dead, but I am presently watching for a few deals on ebay for a good 600 or maybe 650mhz , just to make it more challenging in the 600E case... muahaha
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

So you let the last smoke out of the PIII-500. Good that the motherboard wasnot toasted.

You want't to try again 100MHzbus with the next processor?

Did you ever consider buying a MMC2-Celeron? They come with 66MHz bus, so I have understood. I have seen MMC2-Celerons up to 700MHz in eBay.

I am not totally sure if over 466MHz Celerons are with 66MHz bus, but 466 and lower are for sure with 66MHz bus.
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

Interesting, I have never seen a Celeron with that kind of Mhz in MMC-2 . . Better watch that. True it would be easier to fit than a P3 in this case, but I'm stubborn. heheh But, I'm gonna be watching for both kinds for sure
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

700MHz Celeron-MMC2 seems to come with 100MHz bus

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 01475&rd=1
Katch
BIOS Rookie

I've got a 600MHz Cel that runs fine @ 650 with the fsb mod. Just pulled it out to installa 750 PIII. It''s going spare if you want it.
Thinkpad T20 - 900 MHz (Looking for 1 GHz) 512 Mb - 40Gb 5200rpm - Mini PCI wireless Mod installed behind LCD - (Looking for Slim DVDRW)
Raistlin
BIOS Newbie

Awsome, is the fbs66 or 100mhz?
Katch
BIOS Rookie

100MHz FSB
Thinkpad T20 - 900 MHz (Looking for 1 GHz) 512 Mb - 40Gb 5200rpm - Mini PCI wireless Mod installed behind LCD - (Looking for Slim DVDRW)