IBM Thinkpad 1720 BIOS update fails - no COMMAND.COM

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
rmalcolm
New visitors - please read the rules.

IBM Thinkpad 1720. Trying to install BIOS upgrade obtained from Lenovo site (spsdijg8.exe). Created floppy as per instructions, booted from it and received error message "no command line interpreter. Please enter file pathway eg. C:\...COMMAND.COM"
I presume that the DOS that contains this file is supposed to be on the hard drive. This laptop had been reformatted and was running XP Pro, albeit VERY SLOW.
I want to install Xubuntu, but it has the old BIOS and dead battery. I noted on other pages of this forum that it might be possible to hit "print S/Scrl Lck" instead of F1 during install. Barring that, I also saw where one member substituted one of the files in the update successfully.
Can someone help me figure out the COMMAND.COM problem? That may be all I need to get this to work.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

where did you download the update exactly? I'll try and reproduce your problem, if the upgrade floppy is made wrong I'll try and make one that does work for you.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
rmalcolm

Thanks Edwin;
I tried to post the URL, but got a bounce from the forum's server that I need to have 10 posts before I can post one.
The laptop is an IBM Thinkpad iSeries 1720 running Win XP. The installed BIOS is the very first one issued. I found the support site using Google and the search term "ibm thinkpad 1720 bios update"

I tried to point the installation prog to the COMMAND.COM file in C:\Windows\System32, but it would not accept it. I then tried to copy the file from a boot disk to the root of the C: drive and then point to it, but that did not work either. I suspect a problem with the update installer provided by Lenovo.

BTW this laptop has a dead battery.

Many thanks for your interest in my problem.

RM
rmalcolm

Hi Edwin;
In revisiting the Lenovo site I found that there are two more pieces of info needed to access the right page:
Type: 2627
Model: 720

RM