HP NC6400 rom.cab what is this Rom.bin?

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
tittof
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a bios update that contains no wph files but a rom.cab (cabinet file) that itself contains a Rom.bin

I wonder what format that might be?
cp
BIOS Guru

pure binary, maybe?! ;) that's a 1:1 copy of the contents of the eeprom holding the bios. that's the most common format for bios updates on desktop systems. you can use serveral flashers (uniflash, awardflash, amiflash..) to put that thing where it belongs.

for your notebook there may be a special flash program that comes with the archive that contains the update. you'd better use that flash program because notebooks may be somewhat special in terms of bios (updates).
tittof

ya it is a notebook.. the problem is not to flash it but to erm.. edit it before flashing it.

look here:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/foru ... Id=1051601

I hoped to be able to remove that silly lock-bit (feature control MSR)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Well, given the fact you have the actual binary code of the bios that should not be much of a problem then?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
tittof

not?

well I seriously doubt they marked red the corresponding bytes that have to be changed to whatever value and.. not to mention the crc stuff.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

hmm no. but do you expect us to reverse engineer/decompile the bios and find out?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
tittof

well I read about ppl who managed to modify the phoenix bios of certain HP Notebooks to circumvent some nasty blocks that prevented em to use 3rd party wireless mini pci cards.

In these examples they were talking about .wph files but my HP notebook does not use em as far as I se so I guess im stuck.