Toshiba m45-s2693 bios update problem

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
ndkpyro
New visitors - please read the rules.

I flashed the bios from windows and it messed up and would not boot. I disassembled the laptop and removed the bios battery for 30 minutes. Now I cannot use more than one stick of ram before I was using 2 1gig sticks with no problem. If there are two sticks the system will not boot. I tried to update using Toshibas update utility in dos “insyde DOS update flash utility” and I get the error “Machine id not found”. Thanks for any help
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Well, you are lucky your laptop is still alive!

You need to go to the original bios. Find out what is the manufacturer recommended flashing procedure and use it with the original manufacturer specified bios version.
ndkpyro

I tryed useing toshibas bios update from their website and it will not work in dos it says machine id not found. :cry:
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

contact toshiba tech support and see if they can help you out.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
ndkpyro

It is out of warranty and I would have to pay for tech support. I am a university student "no money". I was hoping someone here would have some ideas on how to force flash the bios to the correct one.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

its machine ID needs to be reset and AFAIK only Toshiba is able to do that.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
ndkpyro

thanks for the help I guss i'll just live with it.
cquilliam

Sounds like you will have to re-apply the DMI information. I'm not sure where to publically get the DMI program, so you may have to rely on a toshiba service center. I would say its only a 10 minute job tops, i'm sure it wouldn't cost much to fix, and will be cheaper than buying a new laptop.
ndkpyro

well thanks for the help. I contacted a toshiba repair shop they said 45 for the DMI so im just going to live with 1gig of ram and no card reader.
ecomancer

ndkpyro wrote:I flashed the bios from windows and it messed up and would not boot. I disassembled the laptop and removed the bios battery for 30 minutes.
Where is the bios battery located? I need to replace mine and I can't find it.

Edit - Fixed quoting. KW
ndkpyro

The bios battery is on the bottom side of the motherboard so you have to completely disassemble the laptop. And it is soldered into place so you will need a soldering iron and solder wick to remove it.