Travelmate 721TX and errors in BIOS rom?

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
dohle
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,
I have a Travelmate 721TX. Currently it's XP installed. I believe the Notebook has 2 fans and one of them (located under the keyboard) is always on. The temperatur sticks to 49°C.
The guys from acer support say that this "always on" is not normal. Otherways the notebook and XP works fine.
So I decided to upgrade my Bios from R01-B8 to the newest acer provides R01-D7.
But when trying to update with a startdisk I get the error message: Failed to open Bios Rom. And when trying to do it with winphlash (A phoenix update tool) I get the error message: "The new Bios file has damaged interface description. The part tindex could not been found in interface" error code 161 (sorry it's loosly translated from german).

I'm sure that it's the right bios for my NB.

Now, what could I do to get this bios update working? Perhaps someone even has a travelmate 720 series and runs XP. Would be nice to know if he has to face the same fanproblem.

dohle
dohle

here is the correct english error message:

"Corrupted interface descriptors in the new BIOS file.

Part Table Signature not found in the Interface.
Error code: -161"
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

If you laptop still works ok with the original bios installed, there is no need for bios update.

Don't push your luck with forced bios update with some pirate methods.

The fan problem is propably because of either sensor or fan defect or too must dust inside the laptop.

So I would advise you to open the box yourself or take it to some expert or service.
dohle

hi,
I managed to get around this scanning for a battery pack.

I installed the newest bios (VR01-D7). But the fan is still always on.
I really need to know now, if that is normal, or not.

The problem is I don'T know how to open it. I don't know how remove the keyboard or so. And if I oben the NB through all the screws I have to work on the display and so on. And thats even more dangereous than a Bios update :)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

How old is the laptop?

Can yiu find a service manual for it for opening instructions?
dohle

the laptop is 7 years old. UNfortunatelly I can't find any open instructions and acer support wont give them to me either.

Another Possibility than a broken hardware: Could a ALWAYS ON fan be because of a not avaible ACPI support under XP?
dohle

well, it's not an ACPI Problem.
ACer support wrote me today that the fan is controlled by "the powermanagement of the motherboard". And it should not be always on.

But I guess this is the wrong forum to ask..

So, can somebody recommend a notebook forum?