8.4GB on MS-5117 VER:2

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

I have problems with BIOS, because more frequently when I power on the pc, it dosn't remember the settings AUTO for my hard disk (the primary on the first channel) and also the manual settings. When the BIOS remember the HD settings, tell me that recognize LBA, Mode4, 2113 MB, but I've 8455.2 MB (see specifications below).
That BIOS recognize a smaller HD I think isn't a problem, because the program fdisk.exe used to make a 100% partition on HD and the installation of Win98SE recognize the whole HD (8455.2 MB), and Win98SE run correctly! I've this problem only when I power on the pc!

The battery isn't deplated (it's new), I'm sure because the BIOS remember the date and the time.
I think I need a BIOS update, but I can't find the right file and the flasher:
I've got a mainboard printed on the front with:
"pci PENTIUM VI1" near the processor, and
"MS5117 VER:2" between the last two ISA connectors, and
"A" on the same row, at the end of the last two ISA connectors.

I tried with Live Update 3 downloaded from the site of MSI, but the mainboard model I think isn't correct (the program tell me that I've MS-0908 ???), and by downloading the .exe file from the download section of the same site I find only the .bin file included but not the appropriate flasher.
Also I know that there are various version of this motherboard (example: MS-5117A and MS-5117P), but I can't find this motherboard (VER:2 and without the final letter).

Could you help me? Thank you.

With a diagnostic program I receive these BIOS informations that are the same infos that I retreive when the computer start, during the post:
BIOS date: 09/08/95
Award BIOS: Award BIOS v4.50 PG
Award ID-String: 09/08/95-VT82C570-2A5L7M49C-00
Board/Bios version: W975 090895 090895 ON ROM
MICROSTAR www.msi.com.tw
Chipset VT82C570 //via 570

Mainboard(I read on the surface):pci PENTIUM VI1, MS5117 VER:2, A, Socket 7, 3 PCI, 4 ISA.
Processor: Intel Pentium 90Mhz.
Hard Disk: Western Digital WD caviar 28400 EIDE, 16383 cyl, 16 heads, 63 spt, 8455.2 MB as primary master on the first channel IDE.
CD reader: Samsung 52X as secondary slave on the first channel IDE.
Video card: Matrox Millennium on PCI1.
Lan card on PCI3.
Sound Blaster 16 on ISA3.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.msi-computer.de/produkte/mai ... Seite=BIOS
Bios version W976, one step higher than your Bios, it is listed as MS-5117A Bios.
MS-5117P Bios is listed with version numbers W97D and similar so different from your version W975
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

You give a lot of information, but I'm unsure why you think you need a BIOS update.

You seem to HDD related problems in the BIOS. If your HDD is larger than 8GB it sounds like your BIOS is not fully detecting it and a BIOS upgrade may be required. If your actual disk size is 8GB or less it sounds like your BIOS is fully detecting it.

I agree that date and time are often the symptoms of a dying CMOS battery, but losing the HDD settings can be another symptom (although I ussually see the date/time go wonky first). If your battery is easy to replace it may be worth trying a new battery and seeing if the BIOS now retains your drive settings. Keep in mind this is one of the first Pentium boards and if the battery has never or once only been replaced, it is probably due for changing.

Anyway, if it helps you, I have went to the MSI site with the link you provided in your message. I went to the English Global site and then from Download went to Mainboard, Archives and then at the bottom of the page your mainboard MSI 5117 is listed under Socket 4. The bad news is that the only BIOS listed is version 1.0, the initial release, which probably means there was only ever one BIOS version released for your board. So if the BIOS is limited to 8GB detection, that is the maximum you will ever be able to detect.

The only advise I can offer with obtaining a new BIOS is trying some of the other MSI sites other than global, as sometimes I find that manufacturer's different sites differ slightly in the downloads available. A better alternative is probably to e-mail MSI and ask them - if they have anything newer they might be able to send it to you.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Sorry about my information Yaye - I started typing my reply before Denniss's reply appeared.

But it demonstrates what I said - and the update under Denniss's link is newer than what I found.
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Thanks a lot to Denniss and Ritchie, I try to download MS-5117A Bios!

Can I make a copy of my actual Bios version before installing the new release? So in case of a wrong installation I can restore the original version. How can I do it? What software should I download? Can you link me the right file for the Bios backup?

Yesterday I replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, but the problem wasn't the battery!

Thanks a lot, Yaye.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

www.uniflash.org - should work well with your old board. Go to www.bootdisk.com and get the "Basic-for Bios flashing" Bootdisk-creator and create a bootdisk with this.
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

I downloaded Bios version W976 from the Denniss's link, I double click on it (w976.exe) and now I've two new files in the same directory:

- Awdfl301.exe
- W976.bin

so I think I don't need the flasher from http://www.uniflash.org isn't it?

The string that I will type at the MS-DOS prompt is only "Awdfl301 W976.bin" without any parameters at the end?

I've another question: I need to backup the BIOS version before upgrading: I go to http://www.bootdisk.com then I find "Driver Free Disk For BIOS Flashing". Is this the program to backup the BIOS? Because I can't find
"Basic-for Bios flashing" Bootdisk-creator as Denniss told me.

I'm sorry for my questions but it's the first time that I must upgrade the BIOS, and I have fear that something goes wrong!

Please help me, I say thanks by reply to others problems that I now.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

www.bootdisk.com provides images to create floppy disks used to boot your system. This special one maximizes free diskspace to have anough space for a backup bios. This Award flashprog is very, very old, you should better try Uniflash.
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Thanks Denniss,

I went to Uniflash's web page, but under "Supported Hardware" I can't find neither my chipset nor my motherboard.

Is because my board is very old? Should I use Uniflash without preoccupations?

Thanks again..
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Ok boys, I flashed my bios, but the problem isn't solved:

my BIOS doesn't remember the settings for the HD (auto, manual, large HD, small HD, with the old BIOS version W975, with the new BIOS version W976).

There is only a case that BIOS remember the settings AUTO: when I clear the CMOS keeping closed the jumper for days, then I open the jumper and power on immediately the pc, enter in the BIOS and set AUTO, save to CMOS and reset. But if I wait only 3 minutes during this operation, the BIOS doesn't save my settings! And also when I turn off the pc I must close the CMOS reset jumper, because if I don't do it, when I repower on the pc the HD settings into BIOS are set to NONE.

I think that I tried everything, isn't it? What can I do again?

PLEASE HELP ME: every word or idea is great for me... otherwise I open the window and I throw out motherboard and bios!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If the BIOS does not remember settings, it simply sounds like the CMOS battery needing replacing, or perhaps not making proper contact.

The AUTO settings that you keep ending up with could be the settings that the BIOS is resetting to default each time the settings are lost (due to the bad battery).

Try a good battery, and see if you can check that the battery is properly installed and making proper contact.
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Ok, I replaced the battery with a new one, this one is soldered with tin to the electrical contacts. This is an old motherboard model without the battery plug and the battery form like a cookie.

I also tried with an external battery as shown in the manual, but the problem isn't the battery!

Anyone has an idea? I'm desperate...
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

After re-reading the history of this post, I suspect something on the mainboard has developed a fault which is causing the problems with the BIOS not remembering settings.

Is it only the HDD settings that the BIOS does not remember, or also other settings?
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

All the settings! The other settings go automatically to the default value: for example the boot sequence goes on A: as the first device and C: as the second device.
The HDD settings go all on NONE.

I suspect a fault, but I try to ask if someone has got a different idea to solve my problem (such as a specific jumper or try to change the BIOS chip... i don't now)

Thanks a lot!
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Sounds to me either like the battery is not making a powered connection to the board (on one 486 system I saw two wires that had come off contacts from the board) or the CMOS chip is faulty and not holding it's settings.