by ammonite
Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 pm
Forum: Notebook BIOS and other problems
Topic: How to solve this? Asus laptop CPU upgrade
Replies: 12
Views: 8260

Re: How to solve this? Asus laptop CPU upgrade

Did it all.

On debian you install microcode package and it adds a daemon in etc/init.d/ to perform microcode update every boot.
Very simple and working (at least that is what dmesg says), that is why I wonder why CPU is not recognized even after the update.
by ammonite
Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:58 pm

It is not that bug, checked it. Here are collection of BIOS images: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9689469/asusbios.tar F3Sc209AS.zip -> is image of this old/semi-functional MBO I have, could use it for testing (same chipset) F3Sv208AS.zip -> my current MBO in laptop, latest BIOS (and the same is running n...
by ammonite
Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks, I will see details about this bug latter (but it is eons old, 2006). However, speedstep-centrino module is depreciated. I tried with it, but got the same result as with acpi-cpufreq. About BIOS, ok how to check is microcode in my BIOS? Is there any linux native tool? If not I have winXP in v...
by ammonite
Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Ok, I see you know about this so I will post details. :) At least the important ones. modprobe acpi-cpufreq FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/3.2.0-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): Input/output error cat /proc/cpuinfo processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family ...
by ammonite
Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did "Default settings" first, just in case of this behavior that you mentioned with Asus. But that did not fix the problem. Speedstep technology is being utilized via acpi-cpufreq module in Linux (think of it as driver for dynamic freq). However, since CPU is not correctly re...
by ammonite
Thu May 31, 2012 7:37 pm

How to solve this? Asus laptop CPU upgrade

Hello, I have this old Asus F3sv laptop. It features Intel 965 mobile chipset and came with Intel Core2Duo T7250 CPU. I acquired Intel T8300 (penryn core - 45nm) and tried to upgrade this laptop. I have latest BIOS, but Asus never made one with penryn support for this laptop. However BIOS does not r...