AMI flash confusion

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
stonent
BIOS Rookie

I downloaded the amiflash utility from the AMI site but it appears to be older than one I got from the Gigabyte site.

The one on the AMI site was v827 and the version I got from Giga-Byte was v855

So where can I get the absolute latest version because I see ones in here being discussed that are older than v855.

The reason that I am asking is I am looking for programs to backup bios flashes for computers like Dell that use a proprietary format. Amiflash v855 was able to sucessfully identify and back up my flash on my Dell Inspiron 4100 computer but couldn't detect the flash chip on an Inspiron 4000. Uniflash doesn't recognize either of them. So basically I am just looking for backup utilities in case of a failure I can send a flash chip and a floppy with a file on it to a site that offers flash chip services. Or is there a sure fire thing you can use in Debug that will back up any bios?

Thanks
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Gigabyte uses a modified Amiflash version .
Latest are Aminf332 or 333 or Amiflash 8.27.34
stonent
BIOS Rookie

Ok. Well that's good to know. Hopefully uniflash will get updated sometime and have some more chip support. The SST flash chip on my laptop has source code on the SST website on how to incorporate it into a flasher so I guess if anyone was good with C they could update uniflash to support more SST chips.

Thanks
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

What chip do you need to flash?
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Tried Uniflash 1.27 ?
Click on www at Rainbow's post to get it !
stonent
BIOS Rookie

SST 49LF004A

I just want to read that one and possibly hot flash it if it ever dies on me.

Uniflash doesn't seem to support it. The file it backs up is mostly blank. The file I made with Amiflash had a lot of text in it that had error messages, easter eggs :) and other bios text.

Oh ok. I just clicked on Rainbow's www and this uniflash seems to be different. The one I found was dated 1998. I'll check it out
stonent
BIOS Rookie

So what is the preferred source for spare flash chips? I'm in the US.

I bought a few dead motherbords for $1.50 each yesterday to harvest chips but they are all 128kb flash chips and I'd like to get some 512kb chips (they didn't have any) but I played around with hot flashing on an old motherboard :)