AWARD>AMI on K7S5A

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
winactive_uk
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi

I've got an ECS K7S5A and I've loaded the K7S5A+ BIOS rev 1.0A, not realising that it is actually for the SiS745 DDR-only based board whereas mine is the DDR/SDR capable SiS735 chipset.

It allows me to tweak CPU/MEM/PCI clocks, but I get lockups in 3DMark2001SE after a couple of minutes, even at 137/137/34 (mind you GF4Ti4200 is set at 320/644) - it runs OK at this when running at 133/133/33.

I changed from an AMI BIOS by loading the flashpart with the AMINF333 and AWARD BIOS file 5ap730a.bin - all went well and system is stable except when o/c. When I try to load back AMI BIOS 020429.rom with AWDFL788 it says 'not an AWARD BIOS' and goes back to prompt and with AMINF333 it says 'chipset/flashpart not supported, therefore function will be disabled'.

I've tried renaming the AMI flashpart to .bin, but still same error msg. with both utils. Anyone know which AWARD flash util will not check for AMI flashpart?

Thanks

W
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Try Uniflash - see the "utilities" link on the main www.wimsbios.com site.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
winactive_uk

Thanks for this, I was already being brave and had found this util - flashed including bootblock and back on AMI BIOS.

The uniflash menu is very tidy and I must say - it works 100%

Still, not sure if I've killed my SB Live! It doesn't want to detect anymore...oops!

I'll get busy with the screwdriver and move it to another slot..........

I had actually lost USB and sound on AWARD BIOS too.........USB is back, wonder if I've upset the PCI slots?!?!?
winactive_uk

Everything's sorted now - those SB Live!'s don't like IRQ sharing. It was on IRQ 10.

Disabled USB and I had sound, re-enabled USB and it was on IRQ 10 and 11.

No windows GUI - booted in Safe - moved SB Live! to 5 and re-installed USB driver - hey presto - sound and USB.

That's the only thing with this board - you have no control over PIRQ's and the AMI BIOS doesn't see USB as something which can be allocated reserved IRQ's - tried forcing IRQ's in BIOS (PnP BIOS, even removing card)

Otherwise a good performer.