Award Flasher freeze!

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
Manzotin - ita
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello! I'm a newbie trying desperatly to uptate a bios, 'because my motherboard doesn't seems to recognise HD>30 gigs. My old HD is slowly falling in love with bad sectors, and i would like to put the new 40gigs HD in before all my files leaves me.

I got a LukyStar motherboard, and searching around the net its serial, i've found the .bin that seems perfect for me.

But, obviously, i got a problem:

I created a dos boot disk with the utility on this site and then i put inside it the flasher, AWD ver 8+, and the .bin file.
When i start the flasher and i make it load the .bin, averything seems allright.
But, when it asks to me "Save ol bios?" and i say yes and specify the name, the flasher freezes and i must reset my pc, 'cause the keyboard doesn't respond too. Floppy and HD lights on the case are activated, but nothing really happens, i mean, ther's no "cric crac" writing sound.

It says "please wait" with a flashing effect, but i'm sure that it's blocked... i let it work for 30 mins.

Seggestions?

PS i'm italian, English lenguage here is like a shuttle for a stoneage man.
luncheonticket
BIOS Newbie

i had a similar problem some time ago... maybe try unprotecting the boot diskette, and if enabled, disable the 'floppy write protection' function on the bios setup (if available)
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Try an older version of Award flash. Maybe 5.xx or 6.xx or 7.xx
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I think that kind of thing happens with certain versions of AWDFLASH when it runs out of memory.

Try going to www.bootdisk.com, creating the Driver Free boot disk, and then using this disk with UniFlash.
KenH
Chip off the ol' block

Ritchie wrote:I think that kind of thing happens with certain versions of AWDFLASH when it runs out of memory.

Try going to www.bootdisk.com, creating the Driver Free boot disk, and then using this disk with UniFlash.
I usually find if it runs out of memory it gives an error that says
"Memory allocation error - unable to load command"

In the past when Iv'e had awdflash freeze on me is usually if it cannot
detect the flash rom..
Just my experieces though may not be the case here..

Since discovering uniflash iv'e never used any other prog to flash,
except for a particular amiflash version that I could unlock W29c020
bootblock, which now uniflash 140 can do with the unlock command.