Being cautious - BFLASH question "Unknown Flash Type&qu

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
jgard
New visitors - please read the rules.

I would appreciate some advice on the following. I recently obtained a BIOS binary 6Z69KG0B.BIN which came supplied with the BFLASH.EXE utility.

For the following machine;

BIOS Date: 03/23/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 03/23/1999-i440BX-8671-2A69KG0DC
OEM Sign-On: Intel 440BX/ZX AGPSet BIOS for 6BXC V.2.8
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: Unknown
CPU: Pentium® II With On-Die L2 Cache 367 MHz

When attempting to flash using BFLASH.EXE, a backup is created but I then receive the message "Unknown Flash Type" and the BIOS does not get updated.

Any mention of thi error generally seems to indicate that the BIOS is write protected but that appears to not be the case.

My question is can I safely use a different utility to try and apply this binary...or is that unlikely to be the problem ?

Any help appreciated - Thanks
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Where the heck did you get this Bios ?

Noticed the "small" difference in your Bios-ID and the filename ?

BTW - a Gigabyte GA-6BXC and Gigabyte has some much more recent Biosversion available for free !
jgard

Thanks for the reply - Please bear with me as I'm new to this !!

I originally looked at the Giga-byte site but their latest Bios appears to be a Beta version F4c(Beta) 2002/1/22 which supports 75GB disk sizes.

As I have recently purchased a 120GB drive I looked at the esupport.com site (where I bought the Bios $24 !!! ) due to the fact that they informed me (based on the machine details) that

a) This was the correct Bios for my machine and
b) "Hard Drive support up to 137 GB (for customers with Award version 4.51)"

Have I been ripped off ? Is a beta generally safe ?, and are you aware of a bios that will support 120GB disk sizes for my machine.

I really do appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
Denniss
BIOS Guru

You wasted 24$ - the official Bios supports HDD up to real 128GB/fake 137GB as well .

The filename of the new Bios suggest it might be a wrong file as it reads "G0B.bin" and your ID shows "G0D"

If you want to use this Bios you paid for please ask them why there's a difference
jgard

Thanks again but........

I took your advice and went for the Gigabyte latest bios (from their site) this downloaded with a flash utility and full of expectation I ran the supplied autoexec :-

flash855 6BXC.F4c

which fired up a flash utility, that successfully backed up my bios but then at the point where it should have applied the bios I received the error message;

"BIOS ID Error".

Which seems very similar to the problem I had with the esupport (no tech support response as yet - been waiting two weeks so far !) provided BIOS.

Any further thoughts ? Is it me !!!!
KachiWachi
The New Guy

I wonder if eSupport will refund your money as the thing comes up with "Unknown Flash Type". You could play dumb and say it just doesn't work and that you just want a refund.

It would be worth a try at least...especially if there are free BIOS's around that will do what you need...
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Gigabyte started to change the original Award Bios-ID and includes to model number instead - that's why the flashpro complains .
Proceed with flash if their flashprog lets you do that or use Uniflash
jgard

Denniss

The Gigabyte flash program wouldn't let me proceed so I used UNIFLASH. Worked a treat - Bios updated (with the Gigabyte beta) and it recognises the new 120Gb disk. So I'm a happy bunny !

THANK YOU Denniss for your help - much appreciated.

Just have to see if esupport will refund - I must say, I'm not impressed with the service I received there !

Have a good Easter.