Instuctions for a correct BIOS update

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
lilybart
New visitors - please read the rules.

just to be clear, i have no idea how to do this, much less correctly...

i have never ever updated a BIOS. i inherited this computer when someone left it behind at my apt complex. currently it has WXP PRO w/ SP3 but i want to install a PCI video card and a PCI tv tuner card and run Mythbuntu as it meets the specs to try that. and because i'm bored and like free things, LOL.
but i am concerned about the older bios. frankly, im not sure i even need to update but XP won't run the cards i want to use. the BIOS i have is 2000 and this is 2003, so how much difference can there be for the hardware? and how do i know if these is even the correct BIOS?

Motherboard Name
ECS P6IWP-Fe
Motherboard Chipset
Intel Whitney i810E

and Please, what the heck do i do with these 2 files???

i ran BiosAgent and it gave me this information

BIOS TYPE: AWARD modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS DATE: 07/07/2000
BIOS ID: 07/07/2000-i810-ITE8712-6A69ME1CC-00-NONE
BIOS OEM: P6IWP-FE VER 1.0f07/07/2000-6.00PG

i went to the motherbord vender website ECS at
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... 52&LanID=8

i downloaded BIOS for P6IWP-Fe(PCB:1.0A) Version 1.2 Release Date 2003/03/28 as p6iwpfe12.exe and unzip to get wpfes12.BIN

i read #3.It is recommended to use the updated flash utility included in each BIOS download package. (How to use flash utility). and it takes me to a page that has tutorials for 2 utilities AWARD DOS and WINFLASH with VERY BAD instructions.

i assume i use the AWARD DOS and not WINFLASH as that is the one ECS they has for download.

i downloaded the AWARD (Dos) 8.60b utility as awd860b.zip and unzipped it and got AWD860B.EXE

i now have 2 files, wpfes12.BIN and AWD860B.EXE

Please, what the heck do i do with these 2 files???

the very outdated tutorial for AWARD DOS was useless (can i even make a DOS boot floppy on XP?) and i can't even find the other utility, WINFLASH. this forum recommends something called UniFlash, but i can't find a version or tutorial for how to use that either.

will someone please give me a simple walkthrough so i know i am doing the right thing and not rendering a old computer useless? i'm not married to this idea, and can use the box for another endeavor.

thanks in advance!
cp
BIOS Guru

how do you know Windows won't run the cards you want to use? what makes you think that a BIOS update will change that? did you already try installing *buntu on the machine and check if the cards will run like intended?
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
lilybart
New visitors - please read the rules.

cp wrote:how do you know Windows won't run the cards you want to use?
i know because i tried to run them... blue screen crash. but they work on my other machine due to changing bios settings.
cp wrote:what makes you think that a BIOS update will change that?
frankly, im not sure i even need to update but XP won't run the cards i want to use. the BIOS i have is 2000 and this is 2003, so how much difference can there be for the hardware?
cp wrote:did you already try installing *buntu on the machine and check if the cards will run like intended?
yes, the video kept switching between onboard and PCI and i kept losing the mouse pointer.
like i said, don't know if updating from a 2000 bios to a 2003 will offer much tweaking for the hardware, but i'd like to try... can't hurt, correct?
if only i could just get some instruction on proper procedure, that would be great!
cp
BIOS Guru

howto bios update:
http://www.lejabeach.com/rhcf/biosguide.htm

both blue screen crashes appeared when you put the cards in booted to windows? or did the crashes appear when you tried to install drivers?

which bios settings did you change to make them work on the other mainboard? maybe that's something that may help other users, too. please specify cards and settings.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.