looking for the right flash utility

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
lotus79
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi

Am having a prob (or ten!) flashing my BIOS.

I have an azza kt3-av motherboard (with via chipset), and the current bios is kt3is.b16. I'm trying to flash it to a kt3is.b20, which is the latest version, d/loaded from the manufacturer's website.

The website, though, has the bios for download, but it doesn't say what utility I should be using, or where I can find it. On the startup screen, it says I have Phoenix-Award bios, version 6.0.

I've tried the award flash utility, but it says it is the incorrect one. I've also got ahold of phlash.exe, which seems to be the right one, but it hangs--I wonder if the version I'm using is too old? It's very hard to find any info about phoenix bios utilities.

Any help is much appreciated!
lotus79

wouldn't you know it, after two days or so trying to figure this out, I tried Winflash right after posting this message, and it worked. Go figure.

Of course my computer still seems to think my new 2400 processor (athlon) is an 1800, and I can't figure out why. Oh well.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Are you sure your FSB is set to 133MHz ? If you have it set to 100MHz that would explain the 3:4 ratio between what you want and what you are seeing.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
lotus79

hmm... excuse my ignorance, but where can I find the FSB? (and what is it?)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

FSB=external CPU clock. Without checking your manual, I don't know whether your board does 133MHz. If it does, it could be a jumper setting.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"