Need Award BIOS update and flash utility A7V8X-LA

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
tigerwan
New visitors - please read the rules.

I was sent to HP for to get an update for my BIOS, as that is where my Compaq Presario sr1300nx came from. I updated to the one they provided, but the computer would work properly afterwards. I called HP support they said it need to be flashed by an authorized vender(apperently theirs didn't work properly) Well i would rather not take it in the have something done that i can do myself. Is there anyone out there that has the BIOS update and flash utility for Award Bios 06/06/2005 KM400A-8237-6A6LYA0E-00 for Asus A7V8X-LA (Kelut)-6L6E Rev.2.02 chipset VIA KM400A VIA VT8237.

I thank you for any help here, i can't seem to find one anywhere exept esupport.com and they haven't replied to my request.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... pv-31037-2

That's the latest Bios they provide and that's the only Bios to be used on your OEM motherboard.
I hope you did not forget to clear CMOS and then to load Setup defaults in ios.
tigerwan

Thank you Denniss, that is the BIOS update i installed already, now i have a boot problem. When i start the computer, it stops at the BIOS "enter password" keyboard doesn't work, no, hdd, no nothing. If i shut it down, and wait a 1/2 hour or so, and restat, it boots properly, with no sign of "enter password"

I noticed you asked if i clear the cmos, and reset defaults.....i did do this AFTER the upgrade.

If i have done this wrong, maybe if you could give me the steps to do this again properly i might get somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated

thank you
tigerwan

I just had a thought. The only update for my BIOS is the one on the HP website. Do I use the Award flash utility to install this update? According to the HP instructions i don't, it doesn't mention using the flash utility at all. Just wondering if that is why i am having problems, i updated without using the flash utility.

Anyone have any input on this?
geomeo

I have an A7v8x-la that comes up with the award lock v1.0. Is there a bin file floating around I can flash the bios with? And any idea which utility I need to use with it, if there is one.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I'll have a look into this later. I hope this is not going to be a thread like the Amberine board...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
geomeo

Yep, I have the same problem as I did with the other board a8ae-le. I'm a bit of a noobie to flashing bioses so I didn't really know what I was needing before. I had to use a win 98 startup disk just to get it to boot into dos.
pgustafson

listen, i tried to do this. I made the modded bios from a bios update for it, and i totaly screwed things up. it killed the mb. so anyway, if your going to do it, DONT USE THE ONE FROM THE SIMILAR ASUS MOTHERBOARD: ITS NOT COMPATIBLE!!!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

geomeo: you've got mail
pgustafson: does it still show award bootblock 1.0 when starting up? If so there's still a chance of fixing it.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

geomeo

Everytime I try to do something with it like install a new memory module or try the sata lead on a different port it comes up with the bootlock v1.0. For some odd reason it worked after I left it off for a couple of days. I been messing about with it trying to clear the CMOS removing all cables and peripherals from the mobo and for some really weird reason I think I found the combination of keeping the A drive ide lead and A drive attached whilst clearing the cmos settings worked, otherwise I just don't think it's clearing the settings. Oh I haven't flashed any bios on it except the one from the HP Compaq website. And as far as I know it was just a fix for the logo screen. But I was kinda warey of that one, because it was from HP lol. When it goes into bootlock mode I can't use my nifty Windows 98 startup disk, it throws strange ASCII characters across the screen everywhere when I try to do that. I just got onshore. I'll try flashing the mobo later. Thankyou Edwin and thankyou pgustafson.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

There's two more things then.

check if a new CR2032 3V coin cell CMOS battery helps.

check for bad capacitors, see http://www.badcaps.net as this board is from the risk period.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

abise

the bios is corrupt but i can boot to dos, the only bios update from HP is installable from within windows only :(

anyone know of a bin and utility that would work? thanks