azoomin
New visitors - please read the rules.

Award
BIOS Date: 10/30/01
BIOS ID String: 10/30/2001-761-686B-6A6S6G09C
OEM Signon: GA-7DX REV. F2c MC
Chipset: AMD 700E REV 18
Super I/O: VIA 686 REV 64 FOUND AT PORT 7H

AMD T-Bird Athlon 1.2gHz 200FSB PGA (Socket A)

with 386 DDR pc2100 RAM

Can I and/or should I update the BIOS. I just changed my OS to XP home edition with sp2.

"Based on the technical specifications you had submitted, we have an excellent BIOS Upgrade for your system. We have the brand new Award BIOS for your motherboard."

"eSupport.com is the Exclusive Authorized Upgrade and Support Center for Award BIOS. For the past 15 years, we have constantly upgraded thousands of motherboards and developed new BIOS upgrades for all the latest technology"

I use my system for normal stuff plus gaming ie CS, DOOM3, ect. Im also looking to upgrade my processor and memory. Is this upgrade needed and will I be able to upgrade? TIA
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

There's version F8 for free, dated 4/2004.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Sup ... GA-7DX.htm

...with lots of support for newer processors.

Note: the "MC" at the end of your OEM Signon might make your board an OEM version. Make sure it isn't in some kind of Fujitsu-Siemens or other "brand" system.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I completely agree with AJZ - GA is a good clue that a mainboard may be Gigabyte and I also find that Gigabyte boards are easy to identify as being Gigabyte.

And one thing I like about Gigabyte is that they seem to have good support on their website as far as BIOS update download availability goes.

I don't see any point in paying for a BIOS upgrade when the manufacturer of the board is such as Gigabyte, who provides free downloads.
azoomin
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I am wondering if its a good idea to upgrade the bios before im ready to install the faster processor? Thanks again!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

All I can say is that, in my case, I would.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

So would I - I'm with AJZ.

That way if you have a working system with an existing processor before the upgrade, you know you have a compatible processor to perform the upgrade with before you install the newer processor once the upgrade is complete.