Trying to update Biostar M6TBC mainboard - tough time

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
krisso
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi everyone Im trying to update the BIOS on the above mainboard with no luck.

First of all the existing BIOS it must be said is working fine, however I need an upgrade to accept the PIII 550 Mhz CPU I want to install for use with Solaris 10.

I have the correct BIOS binary from Biostar's website, the latest version is TBC0208B however when I go to flash it with AWDFLASH 7.33 it gives me an 'Unkown flash type' error.

This is sometimes related to a write protected BIOS, but there are no W/P jumpers on the mobo or settings in the CMOS.

Also interesting, when I boot the board it POST's OK, then right before the boot sequence starts it echoes 'Unkown flash type'.

Do I have a corrupted BIOS that somehow still works? Is there a way to flash the new BIOS ignoring the state of the current bios? What is the best way to get this PIII chip going in this board?

Thanks in advance.
KURIAKI

Try this one:
ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/drivers/utili ... 23_DOS.exe
There are a patched BIOS for your motherboard, courtesy of Nicks:
http://wims.rainbow-software.org/nicks/ ... 0M6TBC.zip
It supports 128GB HDD.
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
krisso

Hi thanks for the reply

When I tried that flash program it says 'cannot be run in MS-Dos mode' (I dont have any OS and am not intending to use windows.

I now think this must be a write protection issue, but I there are no jumpers or settings in CMOS which makes me think perhaps it's a hidden setting. Any ideas on how to check for hidden CMOS settings?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

www.uniflash.org

Read documentation how to use the -force comand. You must know what Flashrom your board has to enter the required 4-digit number. Just peel off the sticker on your flashrom
krisso

Hi Dennis yes I tried that but uniflash fails to write the bios correctly. This is why I am assuming that the chip is write protected somehow. I have written to Biostar but they have not yet replied.

Another question, perhaps it is possible to swap bios chips from another motherboard for use with this board? I have a Socket 478 with the same type of ROM chip would it work if I could get the right bios flashed onto it?

The 478 board is dead so no worries if I screw it up, just would like to know before I do anything stupid.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Please post what's written on both Flashroms, usually boards that old have 128 or 256KB chip but S478 board often have 512KB Flashroms -> not compatible.
krisso

Yea theyre not even the same type of chip.. different shape etc so never mind. Time to put this one to bed I think.. thanks for your help anyways.