uniflash and 28 pin chip on 32 pin socket

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
acquadispillifitti
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all,
I'm playng around with uniflash and i used it to flash mobo and nic 32 pin chips.
Now I have a question. Is it possible to use a 32 pin mobo socket to flash a 28 pin chip? I want to do so because many nic socket are 28 pin.
Is it possible to simply make an adapter?
Thanks to all

Acquadispillifitti
cp
BIOS Guru

are you sure that your 28pin chip is a FLASH chip and not an EPROM? afaik all flash chips are 32pin (well, besides some TSOP stuff..but you would need an extra adapter for those anyways).
acquadispillifitti

Hi,
I'm almost sure !!
It would be an eeprom.
This is the code on the chip MX 27C512PC-12 VPP=12.5v

Bye
Denniss
BIOS Guru

27 = EPROM. IF it has a window it is erasable and reprogrammable, without window programmable only one time and this has been done if there is some data/Bios already installed.
cp
BIOS Guru

like Denniss already said..27 = EPROM. Those are NOT meant to be (re-)programmed in circuit. in other words: you can NOT program those on your mainboard. you'll need a special programmer for this. and if they have a window you can erase them with uv-rays (special equipment/precaution required!!!). some are even electrically eraseable (27EExxx) but you'll still need a special programmer for them. and some are OTP (One Time Programable) (so called masked eproms). they are not reprogramable.

if you want to program something in your mainboard it should be called 28Fxxx or 29Fxxx. BUT be warned...they have different programming voltages! operating voltage is 5V for both. programming voltage is 12V for 28Fxxx and 5V for 29Fxxx. so put a 29Fxxx chip in a mainboard socket that is designed for 28Fxxx AND press program ... booom!
acquadispillifitti

OPS!!
Ok, thanks to all for the answer and to clear my mind!!
So i 've to looking for 28f,29f chips!!
But on 28 pin socket ? always 28f/29f ? and in this case, is there any adapter to do ?
cp
BIOS Guru

hmm..i still have no clue what you're trying to do. let me guess: programming a bootrom for your nic?
if so you can program a 28F/29F on your motherboard and build an adapter for 28pin sockets. you won't be able to use the whole space in the chip at once (only 64kB) but you'll be able to switch between two different configurations using a simple pull-up/-down resistor on the highest address pin. all other connections are straight forward.
if you intend to do something else forget about the writing above and explain what you're up to.
acquadispillifitti

Yes, this is exactly what i want to do...
I have a lot of nic with socket 28 and one motherboard with a socket 32 (29fxxx an asus p2bf).
I would like to put etherboot on the nic.
So:
1) i can program a 28 pin in the 32 pin socket.(adapter needed)
or
2) i can program a 32 pin in the motherboard and then put the 32 pin chip in the 28 pin on the nic.(adapter needed)
Correct?

Thanks for the time.....
cp
BIOS Guru

once again: you can not program a 28pin chip on a motherboard.

you can program a 32pin chip on a motherboard and build an adapter to put it in a 28pin socket.
acquadispillifitti

Ok.
Now is really clear !!
thanks for the help

Acquadispillifitti
notinthisworld
BIOS Rookie

hi,

i'm also interested in adding boot rom chips to our NICs.

and i am curious if uniflash would support (in the future) programming 28 pins rom chip using a motherboard.
thnx

God Bless
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

cp wrote:once again: you can not program a 28pin chip on a motherboard.

you can program a 32pin chip on a motherboard and build an adapter to put it in a 28pin socket.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
notinthisworld
BIOS Rookie

it's just a wishlist heheh :wink:
cp
BIOS Guru

28pin cmos eproms need a higher programming voltage. there is no way that Uniflash could force any mainboard to create a higher programming voltage.

you will need a special programmer/uv-eraser for those chips.
notinthisworld
BIOS Rookie

uhm, just curious, is there any way i could program the 28 pin chip on pci cards???

thnx God Bless