UNIFLASH -pcior

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
siegler
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm trying to flash a modem with uniflash v1.28. The bios is supported (Atmel AT49F002T), but the card doesn't get recognized so it can't be flashed. I tried manually specifying the location with something like -pcior 0 9 0, but that doesn't work either. I see in the BUG section that

PCI Option ROM Flashing (-pcior parameter) doesn't work on many cards

so is the modem card the problem here?

I'd be interested to hear the details of *why* -pcior doesn't necessarily work for many cards.

Thanks!
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

What? Modem with a BIOS? Modems do not have BIOS.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

erg... Rainbow... I have tons of modems with their own firmware, especially when they're DSP modems.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Firmware is not BIOS! BIOS is code that's executed by system CPU while firmware is code that's executed by the device (DSP on the modem). So the (Flash/EE/E/P)ROM on the modem is not PCI Expansion ROM (can't be memory mapped).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
siegler
New visitors - please read the rules.

Rainbow wrote:Firmware is not BIOS! BIOS is code that's executed by system CPU while firmware is code that's executed by the device (DSP on the modem). So the (Flash/EE/E/P)ROM on the modem is not PCI Expansion ROM (can't be memory mapped).
Makes some sense. The modem flash utilities do usually run under Win32 rather than from a bootdisk. Would Uniflash be helpful in creating such a utility? Is there any project out there that has does any work on such a program? It would certainly be useful.

Thanks fo rthe reply.