Uniflash question

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Rainbow:

How is it possible to use Uniflash with Intel motherboards whose BIOS file contains small BIOS file fragments instad of the usual single BIOS file?
maman
Master Flasher

ruelnov wrote:Rainbow:

How is it possible to use Uniflash with Intel motherboards whose BIOS file contains small BIOS file fragments instad of the usual single BIOS file?
After reading the latest Uniflash source code, I came to conclusion that the current uniflash only deals with plain-binary BIOS files, not the "scattered-type" like the Intel mobo. However, one can make a "front-end" for this kind of BIOS to get the plain binary.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

hmmm, this is a pain in the ass.

some Compaq, HP, and Dell BIOS files are fragmented too.
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

LoneWolf
New visitors - please read the rules.

I think it's kind of hard for many of us to read Russian. No offense intended, seeing as you're from Minsk and all. :)

That said, I Babelfished it , and came up with this guess as to how it might work, but I'm really leery of trying this on the system I'd like to try it on until someone can tell me whether this works. Apparently I can take the Intel BIOS file fragments and merge them into a single file by using the COPY command with the /b (binary) switch like this (assume just for example that the original bios is fragmented into three files:

COPY /B <filename1> + <filnename2> + <filename3> <destination.file>

I have done this, and yes, it does create a single file for me. Whether the merged file amounts to a complete uncorrupted BIOS though, I cannot be sure, and I would think it would be a risk (even with a backup BIOS) to attempt to flash a system with this. Does this really work, or is there a site in English I could read? (Babelfish isn't perfect on Russian to English translation, and I would be loath to screw this up).
apple_rom
Use my patch at your own risk!!

Which BIOS?
LoneWolf
New visitors - please read the rules.

apple_rom wrote:Which BIOS?
In my case, the Intel BIOS for their D845GVSR mainboard, which can be found here:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts ... bmit=Go%21[/url]

Their DOS-based BIOS uses some sort of compression to fit it all on one floppy disk that makes extracting it difficult. I downloaded the Express BIOS .EXE and used WinRAR to extract it to a folder, which makes all the BIOS files available. It appears there are six BIOS fragment files, labeled with the extensions .BIO , .BI1, .BI2, on up until .BI6.

The board itself uses an SST 49LF003A firmware chip, which is surface-mounted rather than socketed, which is why I'm being extremely careful.