Using standard BIOS update for special-edition mobo

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
Happy^Ninja
New visitors - please read the rules.

Ok, I've got this MS-6380V3 mobo from MSI that as far as I'm concerned is a special edition of the MS-6380V2 with a special Fujitsu-Siemens BIOS.
I've asked a few people about it and they say it is ok to use the BIOS update from MSIs site to upgrade but I'm not feeling that lucky.
I have compared pictures of the V2 board with my V3 board and I've noticed that everythings the same, even the colors on the components.
As far as I know there are no updates for the V3 (I've checked Fujitsu-Siemens site).
And I also find it quite annoying to have these limitations such as not being able to overclock the CPU.

The question is: Is it safe to use the BIOS update for the V2 on my V3?
soupy
Absentee administrator

If you're worried, order a new chip pre-flashed with the BIOS of your choice.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Please post your complete Bios-Id including the A6380V3F1 .... message in the top left corner
There should be a model number printed onto the mainboard - please post it too !
Happy^Ninja

Ok, I dont know my bios-id or how to get hold of it, but the POST-screen showed something called "W6380F1 V2.7 022602" Could that be it?
Anyway, I think I've founf Fujitsu-Siemens Bios-upgrade section, heres a link to the bios they recommend: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/rl/servicesupport/frameset_boards.html

there should also be a manual there, but I've read it and it doesnt say anything useful.

The full name of my Mobo is: "K7T266 Pro2 (6380 Ver3)"
Denniss
BIOS Guru

First I would try the latest Bios FSC offers
It might be possible the standard MSI Bios does not work on your board - you never know
Using MSI Bios on FSC OEM Boards usually works if they have a fetured down original Bios from MSI but it's a little risky if they have special Award Bios instead of standard AMI
slayek

Hi All
I am having the same issue. Fuji-Siemence bios is inferior to the one I got, FSC bios does not have the overclocking options and otherwise it's all same. I heared something about crossflash, that is flashing award bios with ami bios. Just no idea how to do it or how far safe it is. Anyone has any idea?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Please don't hijack threads.
Start your own.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"