What's wrong now ???

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
Draven
New visitors - please read the rules.

Ok i know i'm a beginner in this...
But i would like to overclock my AMD xp1800+ 1,53GHZ cpu.
And i have a fujitsu Siemens Computer and the bios seems to be write protected.

I think that if i can upgrade the bios i could get along with this....

So i downloaded the right Bios from MSI's homepage (My board is K7T Pro2 MS6380 ver3) and comes from MicroStar...

Followed the guide here in "Flashing the bios for non FAT file system users"

And when i execute the two files AMIFL827 A6380VMS.370 .I got the following messages "The flash part isn't supported .Add in a proper module or assign another one" "please also make sure the bios isn't writeprotected"
And then i can' t do a thing in the flash utility window menu....?

So i check my bios for an "Flash protection sign"..but THERE is none .So if my solution is a bios that is write protected How in .... can i disable it ??

PLEASE i am desperate.. spending so much time with this and still i'm stuck right where i started...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Plain and simple, if you want to tinker around with your system, do NOT buy a branded one. There is a reason for that message, the board you have there is altered for Fujitsu-Siemens, flashing the MSI bios might even kill it.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Denniss
BIOS Guru

As Edwin said it's not recommended to flash an original MSI Bios over the FSC one - you'll lose your warranty if you do so

It's possible your Flashprog is not capable of working with the specific mainboard chipset or flashrom used - try a newer version of the flashprog
Use Amiflash 8.27.34 or Aminf332 or newer
Draven
New visitors - please read the rules.

When i boot up my computer it says "Award ModularBios v6.00PG W6380F1 v3.0 071902"
So now i tried Award Flasher v7.x - 8.x ,and when i try to save my old bios to a floppy it hangs up halfway???

So is there another way to save my old bios?? ..I don't dare go on flashing without that backup..

One thing i also don't understand is that, apperantly i use AwardBios, and when i seek my updated bios file on MSI's homepage . I get a bios that is "AMI Bios" the bios file(A6380vms.370) that are in the zipped one i downloaded from MSI...
My Mobo is (K7T 266 Pro2 MS6380 version.3) and i use that when i seek my upgraded bios ...so i think i have the right file :?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

One thing i also don't understand is that, apperantly i use AwardBios, and when i seek my updated bios file on MSI's homepage . I get a bios that is "AMI Bios" the bios file(A6380vms.370) that are in the zipped one i downloaded from MSI...
It depends what BIOS the OEM wanted to put in the board. Many MSI boards have both Award and AMI BIOSes, and different IDs in the BIOS indicating which OEM - V3 after 6380 indicates Vobis/Fujitsu-Siemens, MS indicates it is an MSI retail motherboard. Flashing a different BIOS in will also produce warning messages; you would have to flash including bootblock AND be sure that the new BIOS will support the flash device that the OEM has got in their version of board.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"