Search found 12 matches

by butlerjc
Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:47 pm
Forum: Notebook BIOS and other problems
Topic: Bad flash results, any help is appreciated.
Replies: 30
Views: 18852

My upgraded HDD is 30GB Compared to the original at 4GB. Could be a bug. What is this partition that Raibow is talking about, and do I need it?

Jim
by butlerjc
Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:54 pm

Well folks, I'm up and running again. I contacted MITAC again and asked them to send me ANY BIOS files they had for my board. They sent me 3 versions that they had in archive, but not the one my machine originally had installed. I flashed again with the most recent of the three files -- version 1.08...
by butlerjc
Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:09 pm

Here's the latest... I removed the HDD and the machine boots up. I can entet the SCU, but there doesn't seem to be an option for manually setting up the HDD. The machine will boot and give me an A:> prompt, but now I can't find the backup file. I went to the manufacturer's site, but I can only get t...
by butlerjc
Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:27 pm

One of the gurus here suggested that the hard drive may be the problem, and thought I might try manually setting up the hard drive when I go into the SCU.

Thoughts?
by butlerjc
Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:17 pm

I believe that I saved the old BIOS, but not sure. Usually I am quite anal when it comes to updating things. I will check all my floppies to be sure I'm using the right disk (but I think that I didn't have the floppy drive enabled). I went out to the website (www.getac.com) and found the old BIOS r1...
by butlerjc
Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:22 pm

The floppy kept responding with "Not a System Disk" etc. no matter what I put in. I took a shot and tried my XP CD and it started the setup process. I could probably create a boot CD on my desktop box. I will find the right floppy from the so-called upgrade and check for the backup.
by butlerjc
Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:04 am

Progress.

I'm glad I found this site! By booting with the hard drive disconnected, it allowed me to get into the SCU. I tried the obvious stuff like Load Defaults, and Load Last settings, but it still boots up with the new version (1.14).

What's my next move?

Thanks!

Jim
by butlerjc
Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:01 pm

Thanks for all the support. I will try the boot w/o HDD tonight and see what happens. No offense intended to anyone when I looked for concurrence. Apologies to all.

Jim :oops:
by butlerjc
Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:40 pm

To both of the replies: (with my thanks) Joe: I believe that backing up the BIOS was an option. Being as timid as possible with this operation, I must have done so, however, I truthfully don't remember. The manufacturer will do whatever is necessary to fix the problem, as long as I pay them $75.00 f...
by butlerjc
Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:51 am

Re: bad flash results

Nope.

The keystroke is never recognized, so I can't get into the BIOS. Just hangs at the Auto-Detecting IDE Devices statement.

Any hope?

Jim
by butlerjc
Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:13 pm

Bad flash results, any help is appreciated.

I am hoping that I haven't joined the ranks of the idiots who try this procedure and end up with expensive doorstops. At this point, I have my laptop ready to ship back to the manufacturer, but I just wanted to take one last stab at finding a way to get past the problem without such drastic action. ...