Article on hacking original.tmp

Posts worthy of archiving. Maybe your problem is already solved here.
maman
Master Flasher

I have made an article on how to hack original.tmp a.k.a system bios in my website here: http://www.geocities.com/mamanzip/Artic ... cking.html. Hopefully can be useful for some of you who might need it. I know that the some of us think this is just an easy hack, but I think some "newbie" might found it useful somehow :D. Thx
Borg Number One
Master Flasher

Greetings,

Your hacking guide is more than interesting, but I have some questions about the mentioned tools.

1.)
maman wrote:Modbin. I'm using the version 4.50.80C
Modbin 4.50.80c is not the latest.
Please look at this page

2.)
maman wrote:Cbrom. I'm using the version 2.80.
Does CBROM 2.80 really exists? If yes, where does it exist?
I am sure you mean 2.08.
Well CBROM 215 is really new, but look this page too and you will find CBROM217a.
BIOS backup - Multi BIOS - prevent a BIOS update failure:
RD1 BIOS Savior

http://www.ioss.com.tw
maman
Master Flasher

Borg Number One wrote:Greetings,

Your hacking guide is more than interesting, but I have some questions about the mentioned tools.

1.)
maman wrote:Modbin. I'm using the version 4.50.80C
Modbin 4.50.80c is not the latest.
Please look at this page

2.)
maman wrote:Cbrom. I'm using the version 2.80.
Does CBROM 2.80 really exists? If yes, where does it exist?
I am sure you mean 2.08.
Well CBROM 215 is really new, but look this page too and you will find CBROM217a.
yup you are right, I've mistyped the CBROM version, it should be 2.08 :oops: . I'll fix it. As for the modbin version, I think that's the latest for the Award version 4.51 PGNM, after that Modbin only works for award version 6.oPG or newer award bios.
maman
Master Flasher

I've also updated the article, I've found some bug pertaining to the method I've explained there :)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

4.50.82 is the latest modbin2 for award 4.5x bioses.

ModBin6 1.00.48 is the latest for 6.00 bioses. There's a ModBin6 Beta 2.0 as well which sometimes works better on newer releases but it still has some major flaws (crashing and all that).
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Ah, and it wouldn't hurt to tell people you are replacing your EPA logo with this routine. At least, that is what it looks to be to my untrained brain.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

maman
Master Flasher

edwin wrote:Ah, and it wouldn't hurt to tell people you are replacing your EPA logo with this routine. At least, that is what it looks to be to my untrained brain.
No, not the EPA logo, but the routine to display it. The EPA logo itself is in a different file such as the epa file displayed when you are seeing your bios component using cbrom. Btw, I've updated the article slightly, due to some more "new" discoveries I made in this last few days :D .
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

OK, could you please explain what you can do with this routine? I have seen some modifications in bioses, but I'm failing to see what you can achieve with this one.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

maman
Master Flasher

My routine (that replaces the "EPA procedure") actually patch my chipset's memory controller in the Hostbridge (VIA 693A). It sets the IOQ (In Order Que Depth) to 4 level , sets the DRAM bank interleaving to 4-way, activates the fast TLB (Translation Lookaside Buffer) lookup, and activates "allow pages of different banks to be active" in the DRAM controller. That's all about it. Actually we can "inject" more code in the "EPA procedure" area, and if that's not enough, just make call to our "additional procedure" in the "empty" area (which contais padding bytes) in the last 4 kbytes of the first 64 kbytes (E000h segment).
maman
Master Flasher

moderator, if you don't mind, please add link to my bios hacking tutorial in the collected wisdom. I just think there might be some people who might need it. I didn't meant to be "famous" here, I just want to help others :D. It is if you don't mind at all. Thx :D