I have :
Bios type:Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Bios date:03/25/97
bios id:03/25/97-i430VX-2A59GTJDC-00
OEM signon:TM-586IV2 V3.0
super io:Winbond 877F (use 89h) rev 0 found at port 250h
Chip set:Intel Triton 430VX rev 2
Memory installed:128 MB

the CPU is :SL 27s/2.8v(FV 805032330)=pentium 233Mhz.
but is shown as 166Mhz -(the performance dint even increased when i changed the cpu from 166mhz to 233 mhz - previously i had 166Mhz).

but i checked it at the store , it is 233Mhz shown there, they have complete different bios/board etc.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Is your CPU multiplier set to 1.5x ?
-> Is internally handled as 3.5x by the 233MMX
Raheel
New visitors - please read the rules.

well i dont know where is this cpu multiplier setting. in the bios setting at startup , i have been checking for long time but dint find any cpu multiplier there. dint find any jumper on the board to specify that.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Try looking in this document at Edwin's site:
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/totem/manu ... iv2smc.zip
If this matches your board, the BF0 and BF1 jumpers set the multiplier.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Raheel

thanx for your help. the first reply to this post helped me, i checked again then found x2.5 , x3.0 etc jumper setting on the board. so i changed it to x3 from x2.5.
now the clock is 266Mhz but the actual processor is 233Mhz, actually i did a thing that i also changed the multiplicant. ie i changes some other jumpers from 66Mhz to 75Mhz (these jumpers were of bus speed , i forgot there name).
any ho my question now is that was it bad for my system to increase the bus clock or what ever it was.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Overclocking causes components to work faster, get hotter and possibly fail more quickly. That might be a problem on a spacecraft that you hope will work for 25 years. On a PC that is out of date in 3 years most people do not worry. If you do not experience any problems (system hangs, screen corruption, data errors) I would not worry.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
PioneerP-007

I would do a before and after test on CPU temps before I just leave it alone. Just when you think everything ok it will heat up cook right before your eyes.
Some motherboards have a CPU temperature monitor running thru the B.I.O.S. , but yours is a dinasour so I figure it doesn't have one. You can install a program called Motherboard Monitor (or equivalent) " seen here -->--->---> @ http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
First, return your jumpers to their original settings and see what your temps are. Also look at cpu voltage. An increase in volts makes an increase in heat.
Compare them to your overclocked settings.
Most of those older models didn't have a fan on the CPU heatsink so when an overclock is done the heat increase is certainly noticeable even to the touch of the heatsink. A difference in a couple of deg isn't bad but if you are near a 10 deg increase then a larger heatsink may do, but a heatsink with a fan mounted will be your best bet.
Don't forget to vacume the dust out of that thing. It holds the heat it and blocks air circulation.
I gave my mom a PC last year and took her old HP that she bought 8 yrs ago with a 120MHZ /1 gig HD w/ Win95. When I got it home I took the cover off and the dust inside was unbelievable.
nathonix

ive overclocked a few boards by jumpers with processors in that general mhz range, and about the only thing ive run into other than setting it too high, would be if your chipset doesnt seperate the pci bus, and the fsb, in which case you could run into some problems with anything onboard, video, sound, etc.

just dont get to the point where you need a box fan in your case, its not pleasant.