K6 233(3.2/3.3v) on single voltage mb(3.3v) - award bios

Don't ask how to over-clock.
cp
BIOS Guru

there is no standard for onboard usb, irda or serial headers. there are four pins you need for usb: GND, +5V, D+ and D-
GND and +5V are directly routed to the power connector. just take a multimeter and test where those pins are. the usb connectors will come with 4 single connectors you can attach to the header. connect GND and +5V according to your measuring results. D+ and D- are the data lines of the usb port. just connect the two remaining pins. now take a usb device and connect it to the new rear ports. if it doesn't work (supposed you installed the drivers for the usb root hub) just swap the pins. now you should have two nice USB 1.1 ports for (almost) free ;)
BiosMan
The BIOS Patcher

Hello Group,

Joining this thread to try to solve the BIOS issue and K6 233 support. :)
The BIOS-ID seems to point to a Lucky Star P54CE 5I-VX1 board. Space Marine, have you been able to confirm that from the board's markings and is there a Rev. nbr. printed on the board?
Sources on the net show more recent BIOS versions for this board like v.F06, v.F09, and v.F10. If your v.F03 doesn't support the K6, then one of these later versions will.

Please send me your F03 BIOS so I can check it for K6 support and compatibility with later BIOS versions.
On the bottom of the k6plus page in the link below, you will find my personal e-mail address.

Greetings,
Jan.
The Unofficial AMD K6-2+ / K6-III+ page
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

On the board is not printed much, pratically is not printed nothing, apart from a white sticker that says "QC-OK", but i don't thing is usefull.

I have sent you a pm for the infos for extracting the bios, then i will be able to send it to you.

About the power regulator, on the right side of the red jumper on the right of cpu socket i have you quite big chipset: manual says that one is bios and the other is RTC.

These are the codes:

(bios chip)
Award software inc 1995
all right reserved
pci/pnp 586
s/n 046945955

(rtc chip)
VIA vt 82885N
9625CF
00B03351 (or 00803351, was hard to see if was B or 8)

I have written other chips too:

(ICS)
ICS9159M
9617-14
UA630000

(UMC)
UM8669F
9619 AYA
V31553

(? near isa slots)
VIA - II
VT82C42N
9622CD TAIWAN
04D06690

(should be tag ram)
W24129AK-12

Is the regulator in this list?

Is the tag ram of 8k 16k or 32k?
I have 256k pipelined burst cache on board, and manual says that for mounting another 256k coast cache module i need a module without tag ram but at least 16k or 32k of onboard tag ram.
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

I have checked better and my board is different from the layout in the photo, there is only one page on the manual that correctly rappresent my layout.

This evening i will scan it and link it here (have to use another pc, because my 3200+ has a broken mainboard -__-')

About USB port, i have found only 2 other connectors:
one is of 4 pins inline, and i think is a ps2 connector.
The other is of 6 pins on 2 lines of 3

similar to this, and i suspect that it his usb.
However manual says that usb is optional on my board.
cp
BIOS Guru

nope, the regulator and the power transistor aren't in this list. the regulator is a 8-pin SOIC (smd ic) with (most likely) LP2951 written on it. the power transistor is a 3-pin TO220 device and it is attached to the heatspreader with a screw. it should be fairly easy to find.
the ICS chip is the PLL responsible for the FSB btw.

the pin headers you've found are not the usb header. the 4-pin header might be the irda connector and the 6-pin header might be the ps2 mouse header. depends very much on their position what those headers really are. a high-resolution photo of the board would help.
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

Do you have a small photo of the regulator and his transistor?
It could be generic too, not specific of a similar mainboard.

Just for having an idea of what to search.

However both the 4pin and 6 pin connector are under my Ps/1 (is called AT?) keyboard connector.

About the tag ram chip, do you know, from what is written on, of which dimension is it? (8k, 16k or 32k)
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

p.s: bios just sent to biosman :)
cp
BIOS Guru

tag ram is 16Kx8

if the headers are both at the AT keyboard connector they are maybe both ps/2 mouse connectors. they just use different shaped connectors because there's no standard pinout for a ps/2 mouse connector.

for the regulator: just post what's written on the transistor. the regulator isn't that important, really.

Jan: nice to have your help on this problem :)
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Don't expect miracles from the i430VX implementation of the USB...it is first generation...and buggy.

Is your chipset the Rev. 1 or the Rev. 2?

If you get an external CoAST module, make sure it is VX-compliant (long slot).

The on-board CPU regulator should have a heatsink attached, and be situated near the CPU socket (there *may* be others elsewhere on the board as well).

@AJZ - Lucky you on your VRM. I still have the short on my board. :-(

@cp - You mean a card edge connector plate/USB "bracket"...right?
cp
BIOS Guru

the i82371SB (aka PIIX3) has most USB issues fixed on the B-0 stepping. you can verify the stepping of your southbridge by checking the marking on top of the chip. the marking should look like this for the B-0 stepping

Code: Select all

SB 82371SB S U093
and like this for the A-1 stepping

Code: Select all

SB 82371SB S U052
still KachiWachi is right: you won't break any world records in usb transfer speed with this chipset. but at least it works :)

KachiWachi: USB bracket :) that's what i was searching for. in german it's called 'USB Slotblech'
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

any german <-> english translations: let me have a go at it (although I'm dutch).
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
KachiWachi
The New Guy

All I know is that when I was using my web camera, it would "trip" when I changed windows, etc... It is the only USB device on the machine, so it is not a conflict of some sort, etc...

I'm now using an Adaptec card (NEC controllers) which solves this problem.

The Northbridge side (82437VX) also has a Rev. 1 and 2 (I have both of those...my Southbridges are both Rev. 2).
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

Sorry guys for not fast answering but i have been a bit busy last day :oops:

I will check chipset version and that "unfoundable" :lol: transistor tomorrow morning

I'm searching on ebay a compatible 256k coast module too
Eventually when i will found something i will post here the link for asking ur opinion :)

However, for the ones that are interested on playing old games, 30 minutes ago i have found that site on google, that seems interesting
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/

And i have found that other site too that has nice reviews of powerleap/evergreen adaptators (on 430vx or fx i think)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/

(If posting a link to another site is against forum rules, please mods delete it; however i think that these are usefull link for the people that are interested on building a gaming rig for old games)
Space Marine
BIOS Rookie

Jan sent me the bios and it has been succesfully updated :D

Bad thing is that i'm yet waiting for k6 shipping 8O

However, now there is another thing:
my mainboard support max 66mhz of bus speed (atm is 66x2, max is 66x3).

Now, the k6 goes at 233 with 66x1,5 (converted to 3,5), but at that speed it has his max power consumption.

VRM maybe will be stressed a bit with k6 at full speed.

In your opinion, is better to run it at 66x3=200mhz or 66x3.5=233 stressing VRM a bit?
cp
BIOS Guru

this is how you can identify what regulator and transistor is used on your board. i still suspect it to be LP2951 and D45H8. the transistor is rated for 8A continuous current. if you assume that the chipset and the ram consumes about 1A i'd run the K6 only at 233MHz if you've a large fan attached to the cpu that cools the transistor, too. the K6 233 consumes as much as 9,5A worst case, the K6 200 about 7,5A. the SOA of the D45H8 (in TO-220) is about ~10A at DC and ~20A at 1ms pulse.