Abit PH5 vs 233MMx Cpu

Don't ask how to over-clock.
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

hi
my abit ph5 board doesn't seems to recognize the 233 cpu mmx it tells me that it's a pentium s cpu at 200 mhz.I just flashed the bios with the latest bios release found at abit www site but still the same.Bios date now it's 1996 and version 4.51 pg .What action should i take in order to clear this problem except from upgrading to a new proc and board :D
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Set multiplier to 1.5x and the CPU should be running at 3.5x regardless of what Bios says - maybe the Bios does not know CPU above 200MHz and is not able to display the real MHz
-> Check with AIDA or other programs the real frequency
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

hi
thank you for your reply,but there it's a problem...i do not know which is the jumper for setting the multiplier.My manual it's incomplete and the explanation of each jumper it's not listed.
it would be very kind of you, if you can help me with this!
thank you!
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

Hi.
well i have the same manual and it misses page 2-2 were you can find detailed info about the jumpers and what they do.I will try to play with jumpers J15A and J15C but not to much.Anyway i do not think that there is the multiplier setting but anyway i will give it a try!
If you can find somewhere those lost pages from that manual ...it would be great.I already searched a lot of internet resources but no luck.
Thank you.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

JP15C will be OFF OFF for 1-2 and 3-4 (1.5x -> 3.5x)

JP15A will be ON ON ON for 1-2 and 3-4 and 5-6 (66MHz)

But I don't know if your board supports dual-voltage cpus (i.e. Intel MMX)
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

Hi
I tryed the above settings but no luck.It keeps reporting the cpu at 200 Mhz .Well i do not mind since i will get a newer board this weekend which will support this proc at full capacity.
I just wanted to know if it's possible for this Abit MB to work eith this proc at 233Mhz!!!
Thank you very much for your information and help.
Alex.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Well, as I said, we still don't know if the board has dual voltage support. If that were the case, the internal cpu database in BIOS only knows about speeds upto 200MHz, so will display 200 max regardless of the Intel processor you install.

But, this is a cosmetic issue. Any diagnostic program will inform you of the real speed.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

If it does have dual voltage support, maybe it needs the "pull-up" trick to properly recognize the BF jumpers on the MMX?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

ajzchips wrote: Any diagnostic program will inform you of the real speed.
Nicolae, can you check with a diagnostic and see what the real speed is ? Changing the CPU speed tables is a "non-trivial task", see
this post to see BIOSMan's description of how he did it for another board.

IIRC, this board is single-voltage though there are solder pads for a VRM (Voltage Regulator Module).
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"