Adding CPU support to BIOS

Don't ask how to over-clock.
metalhead8888888
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 6400+ that I would like to put in my computer my motherboard is MCP61PM-HM. The CPU isn't supported by the new BIOS for whatever reason but it used to work. I am not familiar with modding a BIOS but if somebody could add the CPU to the BIOS. I have gotten as far as extracting sp40910.exe and then extracting the winflash.exe from the sp40910.exe contents. Then opening the extracted winflash.exe and saving it as a awdbios.bin file.
Go to Compaq's website search for SR5110NX. Under product quick links click on "Software & Driver Downloads". Click Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit). Click on "MCP61PM-HM Motherboard BIOS Update" under BIOS.
Sorry but I can't post URLs for whatever reason.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

you're not allowed to, it's an anti-spam measure. Anyway, this is of interest:
The CPU isn't supported by the new BIOS for whatever reason but it used to work.
When, how, where? What happened?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
metalhead8888888

It happened just this week I decided to update my BIOS for more stability while the CPU was working just fine. After the update on the reboot I gave me "Error: Unsupported CPU installed". I went into the BIOS and made sure everything was set to defaults but it still gave me the problem. I made sure that the link from the HP site was correct and it was. So right now I am running on the original factory CPU which is AMD Athlon 64 3800+. I tried to reinstall the BIOS to but that didn't change anything. Yes the motherboard and CPU socket are both AM2. So the thing that would be restricting it would be the BIOS thanks to OEMs restricting everything.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

your download:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=3552715

and one that is 17 seconds newer:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=3867469

go figure. I have got the distinct feeling you best ask HP what made them decide to rip the Dual-Core support from the bios. It's possible they found a bug in the board hardware that might eventually make it go up in flames. As an OEM they have been trying to let ECS build it as cheaply and thus as flimsy as they could...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

metalhead8888888

I talked to them before starting this there answer was
Hello Joseph,

Thank you for replying back to us.

From your email I understand that the issue still persists.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you have encountered with your technical issues. I assure you that your situation is not indicative of the quality service HP is capable of providing. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with us. Your comments are very important to us and will assist in making improvements.

Joseph, I regret to inform you that we have no expertise to troubleshoot the issues of a PC if the hardware has changed. Therefore I request you to contact the local support for getting the issue resolved.
In which i would like to point out that section there which is a lie. But the new BIOS version didn't change anything either.
I had no problems with running the CPU because I was running it for a year.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Yep. Somehow they decided they would not support x2 CPUs. I suspect you don't have a backup of the old bios?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

metalhead8888888

they don't give the option to back it up. Does anybody know where i can get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black Edition CPU microcode because I'm am figuring this out.
paulaner

I have a simailr issue. Did you make any progress?

I wanted to upgrade a Compaq SR5611F system with a new CPU. It curently has a Sempron. The motherboard is MCP61PM-HM (Iris8). (I can't post links yet).

I bought an AMD Athlon 64 6000 because it was the best chip for the AM2 socket I could find. The machine boots up fine for POST, it will even allow me into F10 setup screens, but after that it thows the "Error: Unsupported CPU installed" and shuts down.

Is hacking the BIOS even an option, or did I get a 125W chip for a 65W socket and nothing can be done?