amd athlonxp 2600+ problems

Don't ask how to over-clock.
l-loobashank
New visitors - please read the rules.

i have a First International AM37L motherboard with an amd athlonxp 2000+ cpu. I have been trying to install an athlon xp 2600. i put it in and when i power on the system all the fans come on and the hard drive makes noises but i get is a high pitched whine from the cpu. it is very quite and not noticeable from about 4 feet away. i have upgraded my bios to a version that specifically supports 2600 cpu's. The system just sits and does not POST or give any video signal so i can not even get into the BIOS. i have tried messing with jumper settings with no success. if anyone has had any experiences with this processor please give me some suggestions as to what to try next. also the system works completely fine when i reinstall the old cpu.
thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What is the exact part number on that 2600+? Maybe it's the wrong FSB kind for this board.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
l-loobashank

it is an axda2600dkv3d. i believe it requires 166mhz fsb and my board only supports 133mhz but it should still boot and just be underclocked.

thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

http://www.emachine-upgraders.info/dir1 ... am37.shtml

Athlon XP 2600+ Thoroughbred B 2083MHz 166FSB 12.5x Multi 1.65 volts (AXDA2600DKV3D) is generation 7 I believe. Which the bios does not recognize, which makes it go nuts and not booting.

This board is very often reported stone-dead inside eMachines. If the board itself is bad quality or just the power supply in the W-series, I don't know...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

l-loobashank

i have bought and flashed a custom bios from esupport.com for the am37l motherboard that specifically supports the 2600 so it should not be the bios. i dont have an emachines but a compaq presario, not that it matters. ive been looking for a new comp for some time now but i found this for cheap so i figured id give it a try.
thanks
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I'd ask esupport if they have added the CPU ID for that 2600+ at 333FSB...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

cp
BIOS Guru

are you sure that the AMD 2600+ is not fried?
l-loobashank

yea thats what im starting to think. i called amd tech support and told them everything that i did and he said that was pretty much everything he would have told me to do.
thanks
cp
BIOS Guru

often whining/hissing noises from the voltage regulator (or even the cpu) indicate that the overcurrent protection jumped in..
l-loobashank

meaning what? that its fried?
cp
BIOS Guru

exactly.