ASUS/AMD hardware conflict

Don't ask how to over-clock.
XRzero4
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi, I'm trying to solve an issue with my Asus K7V RM motherboard and my AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. When the CPU is installed, the board won't boot. Both components test good with other systems I have here in the house, so neither one is fried.
Board's in “jumperfree” mode already, so according to the manual, it should autodetect, but it does not.

The next clue I have to go on from the manual is to update the BIOS. All well and good, and that's why I'm here, to locate the latest update, but something weird is going on as well.

When I started up the board with an old 600Mhz Athlon I had lying around to get the BIOS info for this post, The BIOS came up, gave me the “system intrude/ case previously opened” message, but it, and the BIOS screen in the background behind it have badly garbled text, Weird misspellings, like “Advacbed” ,”powar”, “Axit”, “F`oppy 3 Aode suoort” “secondary Slare”, Etc,etc.
This did NOT happen when I tested the board to make sure it wasn't dead.
Could this be an issue revolving around the fact that the BIOS needs to be updated? Obviously it's corrupted somehow, but I want to know whether or not updating will fix it, of is the problem going to require more intense measures to correct?
CAN it be corrected?
By the way, where do I FIND that update? Asus's site was no help. I can find the how-to information and perform the operation, but where do I download the actual update?
Bios is Medallion 6.0 revision 1003A.
cp
BIOS Guru

1. check the memory modules you are using.
2. check the cpu cooling.
3. check the vga card you are using.
4. check the psu, too
XRzero4
New visitors - please read the rules.

every single one of those things checks out. I've tried installing each of these components separately in other systems I have here and they are all fine.
Here's where I stand right now:

Got DOS prompt running DOS 6.22 bootable CD.
Have 2.21 BIOS on seperate CD, downloaded as AFLASH.EXE.
Where do I go from here?
I know it is possible to flash the new BIOS straight from a CD, I just don't know how and due to the sensitive nature of the procedure I'd rather not "wing it".
So how is this Done?
cp
BIOS Guru

put them both on one cd or put the bios stuff on a floppy disk that you can access when you booted the cd. if you are not able to use keyboard inputs you have to write a custom autoexec.bat to run the flash update automatically.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

check for bad caps first before flashing... http://www.badcaps.net
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...