Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and ECS K8M890M-M (V1.0A)

Don't ask how to over-clock.
cruzfactor
New visitors - please read the rules.

I bought a Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and ECS K8M890M-M (V1.0A) mobo combo from Fry's and tried using it in a new PC I'm building. However, I'm getting this "Unknown Processor Revision" Error. I've searched online and it looks like I need to somehow update BIOS. From what I can tell on the ECS website, the BIOS update will only get the mobo compatible with a Athlon 64 X2 5200+. I really hope I don't need to buy another mobo to get this to work. Anybody ran into the same or similar problem? :?:
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downlo ... =6&LanID=0

-Update release
-Support AMD new CPU
AMD Athlon(tm)64 4000+ADA4000IAA4CW
AMD Athlon(tm)64 6000+ADX6000IAA6CZ
cruzfactor

Thanks for the quick reply. That's begs another questions. How do I upgrade BIOS upon seeing that error screen? I can put the unzipped downloaded files an a CD, but where do I go from there?
mikeburek

Read all the way through this first.

You have to create a bootable floppy disk (actually a bootable CD is possible and would also work). In the zip file you downloaded (061229.zip, probably) open it and go to the folder \afu\dos. In there is a .pdf that shows you steps on how to create the floppy. You'll probably need CD burning software like Nero or Roxio to make a CD bootable and follow their directions.

The whatever bootable thing you have, you need to copy the file the root of the zip file (E061229S.ROM) and then a dos program (\AFU\DOS\V4.08P) from the zip file over to the bootable disk/cd you have.

If you read their directions, you'll see that you may to change the BIOS protection jumper. But if you read the manual, you'll frustratingly find out they don't tell you where that jumper is. I can't help you there.

And so now you this everything is hunky dory and you're all ready to update the BIOS. Except one thing. You need a working computer to boot from the disk\cd and you're computer is ca-poot. So if you want to do this yourself, then you have to get an AMD processor that does work first, boot up the system with the bootdisk, update the bios, and then replace it with the new CPU that you wanted, and things will work.

So hopefully you live close to your Fry's, because you'll just have to take it back (unless you have an extra supprted socket AM2 CPU lying around).

I was all excited that I could fix it, until I realized that I can't fix it. So I have to take my back tomorrow. They said they would install the CPU and memory for me for $8. So maybe they'll do that for free tomorrow first to make sure they sell a product bundle that actually works together. Ugh!
mikeburek

So others may have an easy time finding this forum:

ECS K8M890M-M v1.0A
ECS K8M890M-Mv1.0A
ECS K8M890M-M 1.0A
ECS K8M890M-M (v1.0A)

Processor(s) installed in your system are of an unknown revision
05/29/06

ECS K8M890-M unknown revision
ECS K8M890-M doesn't boot
ECS K8M890-M port error
ECS K8M890-M fatal error
ECS K8M890-M checksum error

ECS K8M890M-M unknown revision
ECS K8M890M-M doesn't boot
ECS K8M890M-M port error
ECS K8M890M-M fatal error
ECS K8M890M-M checksum error
F Wright

8O

Thanks for posting this!

I spent 4 hours trying to figure out what I'd done wrong. Went and bought another combo and same bloody problem, then found this site.

Threw my system in the trunk and went over to Fry's. Went to the service department and they actually knew about the problem and had told the parts dept about it 3 days ago. For some bizarre reason, that even the (very helpful and equally baffled) service guy didn't understand, they continued to sell a combination of cpu+mobo that doesn't work. Fry's... Enough said.

Anyway as long as you explain that you don't have another AMD processor (I did not) they will go get approval to charge the parts department ($40?) to update your bios. Several forms later and much time waiting for approvals, the guy to fetch the older processor from the cage, swapping cpus, bios update... and you will have a nice new working mobo+cpu. They apply new thermal grease before swapping back your original cpu which is cool (you may want to remind them).

My first experience with the Fry's service guys and was very pleasantly surprised. The guy at the Palo Alto store was great. Friendly and helpful, who woulda thought?
mikeburek

So my follow up was good with Fry's. The service guy was smart, but not quite at bios revision levels, so I didn't really explain I either needed a new mother board, or to get the bios updated - I just let him plug away. He was very friendly and good problem solver. My cpu worked in another board, an older CPU worked in my board. Then he tried a new CPU of same revision in my board, and it didn't work. He was able to another of the same motherboard and replace the mobo and cpu for me. Pretty cool. I think all the mobo boxes are the same and they don't designate the bios, so it was probably just the very last mobo of an earlier shipment of the mobo. It seems to be a very rare problem. Bless the internet.

Kudos Fry's: It's so strange talking to only one service repair guy who listens and respects the customer. When looking at other stores, I have to also weight to hassle of returns in case there is a problem. At Fry's, so far it's all been wonderful experiences, so I buy knowing that if there is a problem, I can quickly and easily get it fixed and don't worry. (And living very close to one really helps also, since there is only 1 in town.)

My rant: Very different from Best Buy where you now have to talk to 4 people and tell them all your whole story, while they look at you like a cop trying to decide who is the drunk driver that caused an accident. You have to get approval from each one to talk to the other, and then they all confer to decide if you're trying to rip off Best Buy. And to top if off, there is a 20 minute wait for each person.