BIOS Update help Required

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Louise
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this may be the only time i'll use it as i can't see myself having to update/flash another BIOS in the future after this, but a forum like this is always a usefull thing to belong to if i do need help (like now).

My problem is i need to flash/update the BIOS in my dad's computer which is fairly old, and i need to know where i can get the .exe or the .zip file that contains the .ROM file.

The technical details are below:

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-7IXE4, Skt 462/A
BIOS = AMI, VER 1.23, (c) 1999, 7IXE4 F7
BIOS Build Date = 15th July 1995
AMI Build Tag = GA7IX002
BIOS ID String = 62-1005-001199-00101111-071595-IRONGATE
Current CPU = AMD Athlon 900Mhz
Intended Upgrade CPU = AMD Duron 1300Mhz/1.3Ghz

My problem is that the Motherbaord won't recognise the upgrade cpu as i think the BIOS is to old.

I need to upgrade from: 7IXE4 F7 BIOS.

To: 7IXE4 F9 BIOS.

I have downloaded the DOS based utility: aminf335.exe so i just need the location of the BIOS update files.

Please can someone help me as i've wasted my money on the AMD Duron 1300Mhz otherwise.

I have looked on the Gigabyte website and the AMI site as well but i can't seem to find them.

If you want to you can Email me with the infomation on: louise.vale@talktalk.net

I would like to apologise now to the mods if i have made any accidental mistakes, i did read the rules breifly before registering, but i hope i havn't broken any of those rules by accident.

But i really need someones help with this.

Please help if you can.

Thank you.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth ... uctID=1364

There's an even newer version available there
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

CPU is supported:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth ... e=GA-7IXE4
There's nothing in the bios description about support for new CPUs. Are you sure that Duron is known good to begin with?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Louise
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello.

I'd like to thank both "edwin" and "denniss" for their replys.

But i've even surprised myself, i managed to do it myself in the end.

That is the first time i've ever flashed a BIOS and i was a bit scared doing it knowing one mistake could wreck my whole computer/motherboard.

I just typed in "7IXE4 F9" into yahoo and it took me to a web site where i downloaded a couple of files.

I had to create a DOS boot disk and boot into DOS from the floppy then run the flash utility called: FLASH849.EXE.

Then i had to specify the file i wanted to flash with namely A:\7ixe4.f9.

I was so pleased when it all worked and now my Duron 1.3GHz is working.

But to the two people who replied to me, thank you ever so much for giving me your advice.

And "System error, Strike any user to continue....".

I love it edwin, great! :lol:.