Bios upgrade required ?

Don't ask how to over-clock.
nathanreynolds
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an MS6340 ver 1 board in my PC. MSI website says that this will take up to Duron 1200. I have bought one of these today and I can't get it past POST. My BIOS is AMI bios ver 1.1. There is no option in it to adjust clock speed and I can't even get into the BIOS with the new CPU in.

Is it possible to flash this BIOS as an Award BIOS. Or what else might be wrong that is preventing the new CPU working. (There are no board bleeps, just won't POST.)

I have PC133 memory installed even though board is only 100FSB, previous processor is Duron 750.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Hi Nathan
Can you provide more info on your system? Do you know which version of the MS6340 board you have (e.g. V3.0)? This should be next to the "MS6340" on the board itself. As you have an AMI BIOS, this looks like an OEM version - what make of computer is the board in ? Can you give us the AMI BIOS reference number ?

You should be able to flash it with a more recent Award BIOS, but if you look at MSI's 6340 BIOS page you'll see that you need to know whether you have AC97 sound, Creative sound, etc.

More info !
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"