Can I run a Celly-D on a P4-northwood board?

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Mare of Earth
New visitors - please read the rules.

I hope this is the right forum!

I have an Aopen AX4C-G board which supports P4 Northwood cpus. I want to run a Celeron D (Prescott) on it. I was told that it could be done with an alteration in the BIOS - Aopen does not support any Prescott cpus on this board, however, they support the Prescott CPUs on the AX4C Max II board.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Have you actually tried to boot the board with the CellyD?
Mare of Earth

Not yet - My case has a bad power supply, so I am waiting for the new power supply to show up. I am planning to start it up as soon as it arrives - I am trying to figure out ahead of time if it will blow up. :)
Also, supposively XP SP2 will only run with updated Prescott microcode (which I supposively don't have.....)

any advice?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Have you tried emailing AOPEN? The latest BIOS dated mid-2003 will most likely not have direct Celly-D support.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

It depends not only on bios support - the voltage regulator has to be big enough to feed the Celeron as it needs lots of "juice".

Some small rule: No Hyper-Threading support = No Prescott support

CPU-table shows it supports Northwood P4 only up to 3.2GHz but not the 3.4Ghz. Looks like llimited by voltage regulator as often seen on early generation i875 motherboards
Mare of Earth

The Celeron D that I have is 2.53GHz, and the board supports hyperthreading, as well as overclocking. The only answers I have received from Aopen is that the board only runs northwood P4s.

>>>Good day Sir! In response to your updates, there¡¦s no modification in Bios to make the Prescott processor allow to this motherboard model due to hardware design that the board can support up to that certain code/type of processor.<<<

So, what do ya'll think? Possible, or am I going to end up with fried circuits.

On a side note - the Intel site states something about earlier P4 boards only running new P4s at 2.80GHz until you upgrade the board.