Chaintech 5vgm m201 and AMD k6/k6-2

Don't ask how to over-clock.
rmay635703
Chip off the ol' block

Hi I have 3 of these motherboards (got them without knowing much about them) and I notice they should have enough different jumpers to support any voltage from 2.2v - 3.3v HOWEVER I do not have the undocumented voltage settings.
Has anyone decoded all the possible voltage settings (it has 7 voltage jumpers)

Has anyone ever tried one of these beasts with an AMD or Cyrix MII?

Has anyone made a modded bios or have a beta bios I could play with?
(these are pretty standard VX motherboards)

Thanx for any info
Ryan May
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
rmay635703
Chip off the ol' block

That board is capable to about 12watt or k6-200mhz at the max, its seems that higher k6's are also around that area in terms of power consumption (266mhz) also the same in amperage. Now the problem is how would I jumper for 2.2v?
Also is it wattage or raw amperage that makes a dif.

Also
Too bad you can't remove these lowsy linears and put in a circuit with a switching reg in. (or easier still put in a gigantic linear that can handle it)

Cheers
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Looking at the jumper settings, I see six pairs of pins on J8. The first two decide whether you are using a split power plane or not (posn 1 no, posn 2 yes). If you are using a split power plane there are four positions left, and I expect each position selects a particular resistor to set the output voltage. Whether using more than one jumper in these positions at a time would bring the voltage up or down and by what amount - ? experimentation required, with a dummy load.

I guess there's nothing to stop you replacing the regulator circuit with one of your own design: PowerLeap do, to mention one. The concern that Chaintech express is over the power dissipated by the regulator, which depends on the voltage drop and the current.
rmay635703
Chip off the ol' block

I have a passive heatsync for a large regulator that could be modded to fit these little guys, Do you think I could get the heat dissapation high enough to keep them from toasting on a 1lb passive aluminum heatsync if I set for 2.5v and have about 14amps?

LOL