Computer won't boot with AMD K6-III 400

Don't ask how to over-clock.
John English
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an old NEC Ready 9510 (original specs: socket 7, Pentium 90). That I recently successfully upgraded to a Pentium 233 MMX with the help of a Kingston adapter (my motherboard allows the selection of 60 MHz FSB or 66 MHz FSB).

I came across a PowerLeap PL-K6-III which is an adapter with a K6-III 400 CPU on it. I installed it but my machine will not boot now. The power lights come on and the fans spin up but that's it, nothing else happens. I put back the old Pentium 233 MMX and it boots up just fine. I contacted PowerLeap but they no longer support that item. The user manual for the adapter says it'll work with 60 or 66 MHz FSB.

Here's all the information I could get about my motherboard and BIOS. It's an AMI BIOS. All it says at the boot screen is "American Megatrends Inc. BIOS 1.00.06 CA0K". The AMI BIOS ID says that there are no AMI ID strings in the BIOS.

I ran a couple of the utilites provided here and hopefully someone can help me out here.

cp
BIOS Guru

genuine Intel board (OEM for NEC). They don't really like processors that don't reply with 'Genuine Intel'. Try that PowerLeap thing on another board instead.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

If the thing is powering up OK, then it is a BIOS issue (unrecognized CPU).

Did you try turning off the "System BIOS" and "Video" Cacheability options in the BIOS (if they exist)?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Typical behaviour of intel board, they don't boot with CPU's they don't recognize (maybe except some IDT Winchip series).

No change to get the K6-III working except for a specialized Bios.
John English

I sent an email to Jan (BIOSman) hopefully he can help. :)
John English

KachiWachi wrote:If the thing is powering up OK, then it is a BIOS issue (unrecognized CPU).

Did you try turning off the "System BIOS" and "Video" Cacheability options in the BIOS (if they exist)?
There's no such options. :(