D850emvr mobo won't post with p4 2.8ghz cpu

Don't ask how to over-clock.
smarti34
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an Intel D850EMVR motherboard, and an Intel P4 2.8 533 Mhz fsb PGA-478 cpu. All of the research indicates that the two should work together fine... However, when the technician who is helping me build this beast tests it with his diagnostic "tester", a code of 99 shows up, and nothing else happens. If he swaps in an Intel P4 2.26, the tester goes into some kind of bios post testing, and the numbers change...which tells him that my mobo doesn't support my cpu.

I have been to all of the sites I can find, and I am leaning towards the bios as the culprit. The docs I found on the Intel website state that the d850emvr needs a bios version of P15 or greater to support the 2.8ghz cpu. I suggested this to the technician, and he was nervous about changing the bios ( to do so, I assume we need to put in his 2.26, boot and then upgrade the bios?).

Is there any way to veryify what level of bios came on this motherboard? I would have assumed it was current as it is supposed to support hyper threading and rdram 1066.

I will be going back to the store tomorrow with 100 pages of doc I printed from the cd that came with the board ( which all say it is a d850emvr).

HELPPPPPPPP
PGM
BIOS Newbie

Install a compatible CPU, remove the manufacturer full-screen logo if needed and pause POST, the BIOS version should be shown. If, not try booting Windows and use software like CPU-Z or Everest in order to investigate your system configuration.

P.D: Rambus memory, very expensive, not?
smarti34

PGM wrote:Install a compatible CPU, remove the manufacturer full-screen logo if needed and pause POST, the BIOS version should be shown. If, not try booting Windows and use software like CPU-Z or Everest in order to investigate your system configuration.

What do you mean about removing the full screen logo? I do have cpu-z...so I could do that.

P.D: Rambus memory, very expensive, not?
YES
but it is supposed to be worth it.

Thanks.
smarti34

:( Well here is my situation tonite. We installed a p4 2.26ghz, used his hard drive with Windows ME on it, and it came up fine. We looked at the bios with cpu-z, and it stated that it was mv85010a.86a.0057.p20 which is a higher version than the intel website says you need to support the p4 2.8 533fsb processor. We downloaded the most current bios...p25, installed using the windows bios express installer, and booted the 2.26 again...rechecked the bios and it indeed had updated to the p25.

Reinstalled my 2.8, booted, and ended up with the same result. Black screen....his boot bios probe tool indicated a 99 ( he is not sure exactly what that is until he finds his manual..but it is not good.

Rebooted with the 2.26, and the tester shows the system led changing codes...which he says is what is supposed to happen.

Went back to the intel bios download page, and installed p23...one that is specifically for the d850emvr. Same results.

All of the documentation that I read on the intel website indicates that the 2.8 is supported if you have at least bios version p15..this one started at p20, and went to p25, and back down to p23. No luck.

The company I bought the processor from say that the fact it won;t work with my board is not a legit reason for returning...so I am stuck with a $180 albatros.

I really want to figure out what is wrong...and fix it, so that I have the speed and features I paid for....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks....

Sandi
soupy
Absentee administrator

My suggestion is buy a new board. The benefits of RDRAM were marginal when it was introduced, they are non-existant now.

Anyhow, the CPU you bought was probably a 533mhz Prescott, when what you needed was a 533mhz Northwood. It's not going to work in that board.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.