Dell Latitude C600 - Can't Upgrade Processor??

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Mechamaniac
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a DELL Latitude (that's a laptop) c600 that someone wants to upgrade to a 1GB processor.

According to the specs the mobo should support this size processor.

However, when I installed it, I got the following message.

"This revision motherboard does not support the currently installed CPU".

What is strange about this is that the laptop will actually boot, and pass POST. If the cpu was not compatible with the mobo, it should not even boot.

It appears that DELL has built something into their BIOS revisions that limits the CPU usage on this machine.

More interestingly, the same mobo is used on their Inspiron series laptops that have a 950 MB processor or better.

Suggestions?
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Do you have the latest BIOS?
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
stonent
BIOS Rookie

There were 2 revisions of that system with slightly different boards. One goes to 800 and the other goes to 1ghz. Try the latest bios and if it still doesn't work, go for an 800.
stonent
BIOS Rookie

Remove your memory modules. If you see a tag with that part number DP/N xxxxxx, then you can upgrade to a 1ghz Mobile Pentium 3 (in the uPGA2 package)
(Note, this is not a Pentium IIIm)[/img]
juke
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi, I also have a C600 Latitude with PIII 850mhz and tried to upgrade to a PIII 1ghz to no avail, I flashed the BIOS to A23 (coming from A05) no problem and it went through POST before getting the Processor Start Failure message. Moreover, I do have the DP/N on the ram that would say I'm eligible for it; it says "DP/N 086WDV C/O 7W Rev A05" as well as a long DS/N code if that means anything