Geode Support for ECS 741GX-M

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Helijet
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

my ECS 741GX-M doesnt recognize Geode CPUs.

The Bios-Updates of ECS doesnt support it, because the hardware supports only until 1.25V instead of 1.24V by AMD.

Versions of japanese Bios (based on Award modular Bios 6.00PG ??)
obviously do.

Is there any Bios-Update wich supports Geode CPU on my board ?

Thank you for your help !

BIOS-ID-String: 10/13/2005-SIS-741-6A7I8E19C-00
cp
BIOS Guru

the voltage id is not set by the bios in the first place but by the cpu itself. since the voltage regulator supports the cpu's voltage id (obviously, how did you measure the 0.01V difference?) and the geode NX cpu is just a standard athlon cpu core with reduced core frequency and thus reduced voltage there's no real need for a bios update.
Helijet

Hi,

i dont measure the 0.01V. I read about the 1.24V of the Geode and the possible 1.25V of the Mainboard.

The Mainboard shows 1.58V as core voltage and the cpu becomes "warm" very fast, so i did not use it now to prevent damages.

The Mainboard recognizes it as a XP 2200+.
cp
BIOS Guru

the geode VID pins are setup for mobile use. if the mainboard misses the ability to detect that and reduce the voltage accordingly those VID pins will be interpreted as desktop VID pin configuration and result in a higher voltage. it seems that your mainboard doesn't care about mobile VID pins configuration.
to let the cpu run at it's normal speed you may have to lower the FSB to 133MHz (FSB266)
Helijet

Hi,

i tried 100..133 Mhz FSB. At 100Mhz the CPU is run by 1350Mhz.
At 133Mhz it is run as a 2000XP+.

Greetings
cp
BIOS Guru

are you sure about the fsb? i suspect you have a Geode NX 1750, right? it has a multiplier of 10.5 and runs with an fsb of 133MHz at its designed speed of 1400MHz. please send the complete OPN and verify the speeds with CPUID.
Helijet

Hi,

the OPN ist ANXA2001FKC3D.
The seller said, it is a Geode NX 1750.
After your hint, i search the net and diddn't found any information about it. I'll contact AMD to identify this unusual OPN.
cp
BIOS Guru

There's no AMD cpu with such an OPN. This seems to be a AthlonXP tinkered (relabled) with to obtain a higher price. You should get your money back and report the seller to AMD.
Helijet

Hi,

maybe..but i don't think..

But where to get a Bios Version wich identify the Geode on the MB ?
I read about the 7GM5720.bin update file for the Bios (from the japanese Version).

Can anyone help - that would be great - thank you !
cp
BIOS Guru

you don't have to believe me..but i say it again: the AMD Geode NX is nothing else than an Athlon XP Thouroughbred core with reduced voltage and speed.

to extend the OPN of your processor is no official AMD OPN. it is a relabled version of an AMD Athlon XP. did you ever search for the OPN on the net? what kind of hits did you get? isn't THAT strange?
CooperXS

This OPN is not ment for selling on retail market, even as Tray.
It is specificaly design for only one OEM vendor.

Please report all shops selling this particular Geode to AMD.

--------------
AMD ETSC
cp
BIOS Guru

hmmm..anything official from AMD about this OPN?
brin

CooperXS wrote:Please report all shops selling this particular Geode to AMD.
..and why should I? If you like, do it yourself, they're sold at the moment on ebay.de

cp wrote:... it is a relabled version of an AMD Athlon XP. did you ever search for the OPN on the net? what kind of hits did you get? isn't THAT strange?
I did an found this: "The Geode NX 2001 exists certainly!" (AANXA2001FKC3G or ANXA2001FKC3D):
http://fab51.com/mobile/tbred/geode_nx2001-e.html

Helijet wrote:...Is there any Bios-Update wich supports Geode CPU on my board ?
- and last, not least for Helijet THIS might be his solution without any japanese BIOS ;-)
http://www.ocinside.de/go_d.html?/html/ ... mod_d.html

BTW, where did you buy this cpu, I would like to get myself one?

good luck

brin 8)

thank GOOGLE ;-)
cp
BIOS Guru

I did an found this: "The Geode NX 2001 exists certainly!" (AANXA2001FKC3G or ANXA2001FKC3D):
http://fab51.com/mobile/tbred/geode_nx2001-e.html
i know this site, too. take a look at the date of the site you found and then take a look at the date of this thread. and yes..i am aware that those Geode processors are sold via a large internet auction platform.

the problem still is: the processors are sold as Geode NX1750..which they are certainly not. this causes some trouble among users as you can clearly see. i can understand that AMD wanted to sell a large amount of their old XP processors to an OEM vendor but i can not quite understand why AMD labeled them 'Geode'. obviously there is nothing geode-like on these processors, they are simply Athlon XP 2200+, nothing fancy, they even have the same core voltage. they _MAY_ have MP and/or MOBILE capabilities..but the latter will depend on the mainboard's bios capabilities or expert 3rd party software (like CrystalCPUID).

if you want to get a cool processor either buy a real Geode or get an old Athlon XP for cheap and modify its bridges for less voltage and MP/MOBILE. and don't buy those Geode NX 2001 processors as they are a pure ripoff.