Gigabyte GA-586 TX3 part blown - please help

Don't ask how to over-clock.
xsitez
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi there

I have a problem. I unfortunately put a wrong rear-USB-bay (+cable) to my Mainbaord GA-586 TX3 Rev. 1.09. When switched on the part with the print "L5" besides the USB connector burned. :? The mainboard is still running fine, but the part is blown. The USB is dead. :cry:

Can anyone please help me identifying what this was so I can exchange it with a new one :?:

It is located directly besides the USB-board-plug between the the PCI3- and PCI4-slot and the keyboard controller chip. Its size is about (or better was about) 0603 (If anyone can use this information). and it was gray, like the L6 on the other side of the plug....

Please help me.

Thank you very much.

XSiteZ
Denniss
BIOS Guru

I can't help with your part but it might be easier to get an Add-On USB 1.1 or USB2.0 card for PCI-Bus. Just make sure the card does not need PCI 2.2 as your board only has PCI 2.1 .
KachiWachi
The New Guy

"L" usually designates an Inductor coil...probably used for filtering. What "probably" happened was that your USB cable pinout was incorrect, it shorted a power pin to ground, pulled too much current, and "fused" the Inductor wire. If you could find out the Inductor value, you might be able to just replace it with a new part. The L6 component *might* be the same part value.

603?

I'm also wondering if you connected a "self-powered" device...if the USB would still work? It would depend on if you damaged the USB chip at all...

Does the USB Controller still exist in the Device Manager?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

KachiWachi wrote:603?
No, he said 0603, it's a standard SMD component format. Image
Take a look at http://www.filtran.com/filtran/products ... ewJan.html
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
xsitez

Hy Folks
It was right. L6 was the same. Because the USB-plug has two USB-ports there was the same group of parts on the other side of the plug. L6 was a "ferrit"with 0,02Ohm and 0,5µH.
I replaced it with a new one and all is ok now. :D
I still wonder why Gigabyte came to the idea to do the pinout of the plug like this:
4-3-2-1 in first row
5-6-7-8 in second row.

In my opinion it should be:
1-3-5-7-9
2-4-6-8
like on every other board. p.e my Asus T2P4 has such a pinout.

Does anyone know where I can get more detailed information of this board/plug ?

What I was very pleased about was that the handbook only mentions 64MB-SD-RAMs as suitable for this board whereas I put a 256MB-CL2 one on it - it is running at light-speed :wink:
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

The manual only states what existed at the time (maximum of 64MB sticks)...
KachiWachi
The New Guy

NickS - I guess I misread the line about the part size (and being an electronics tech, I shouldn't have :oops: ).

Glad you got it working xsitez!! :D

FYI - My Belkin F3U001 instructions list 4 different pin configurations (though 2 are technically the same, less one unused pin).
xsitez

Hy there
Now I got a new problem. This damend board :evil: doesn't run with my K6-III 400. 66MHz x2 @ 2,4V (all downto 2,0 V seem to start).
When BIOS finished POST someting like
"Updating ESCD..."
sould be displayed, followed by "Success". (At least a P233MMX does it.)
The K6 boots up (one beep and listing of CPU,memory,HDDs and stuff)and displayes this updating thing, but no "success". Machine tries to boot (from Disk - for safety I unplugged my HDD (containing data)) and hangs some seconds later.
Is there a known problem with K6-III in BIOS 2.1 of Gigabyte ?
I'll try The 2.1+ from Wims tomorrow...
Good night and thanks for help.
XSiteZ
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Either your CPU is overheation very fast or it consumes too much power for the OnBoard voltage regulator.
Try to run the CPU at 2.3 or better 2.2V.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Try deselecting the BIOS options for System BIOS Cacheable and/or Video BIOS Cacheable.

Are you running the latest or a patched BIOS for the CPU??
xsitez

Hy there
I am running the K6-III downto 2,0 V, wich is very confusing to me, because my P233-MMX (normally 2,8V) also runs at 2,0V....

However I have the BIOS formerly installed on the Flash-BIOS-Chip. This is a 2.1 version, but is differs from the 2.1 I downloaded from Gigabyte. Them I also downloaded the 2.1+ from WIMs.
Machine starts with it, but unfortunately this BIOS hangs in BIOS screen 1 (where the HDDs are entered).
I will try all of the 3 next week in detail ! I gonna give feedback.

I will also try to disable this caching of System bios and stuff.
Thanks for the suggestions !

CU

XSiteZ
xsitez

Hi there
Here are my test results:

@KachiWachi
Tank you for the TIP. I switched Chipset Featuresw -> System BIOS Cacheable to "Disabled" and all works fine now !
....LIGHTSPEED ! :twisted:

I decided to leave the 2.1 I already had in my Flash-BIOS there.
The 2.1 downloaded from Gigabyte was different in some bytes and brought no advantages...
If someone wants to have it just answer to this topic ... I'll come back.

Destroying results of the 2.1+ patched BIOS from WimsBIOS.com !!!
This BIOS always hanged in Standard CMOS Setup and also seemed to be unstable in IDE HDD Auto Detection. Horrible GFX errors and no reaction any more. :evil:
The Machine booted up, no problem, but the BIOS had these two errors. So I skipped it.

I hope someone can use this information

Thank you for your support :P

XSiteZ