Help Please- CPU Not recognized- NEED HELP IDENTIFYING MOBO

Don't ask how to over-clock.
ojtwelve
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello I need help identifying my MOBO for a bios and cpu upgrade.

I have an old pre-built computer that currently has an AMD Duron 1300mhz Cpu. I tried to upgrade the CPU to a used Amd Athlon XP 2400+ CPU(bought off fleabay), but when I power on computer the monitor does not power on and the monitor remains in sleep mode. What is wrong? When I change the CPU back to the AMD Duron, the monitor powers on and I can see the system booting up. I think if I can identify my mOBO i might be able to find a BIOS to fix it. I cannot clearly identify anything on the MOBO. It is red colored with V3.1 written in the top left hand corner of MOBO. I saw something right below the CPU slot on the motherboard that looked like an orange colored Heatsink with the name Amptron on it. The DDR memory slots are pink and the SDR slots are black

I think my motherboard supports a Socket-462 CPU socket for AMD k7 processors from the PcChips book I got, however whenevr I call PCCHips they tell me they cannot help me because the can't locate the MOBO and the book might not be the right book I got.

System Model : ECS M825VXX 3.1
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Main Circuit Board - Board: ECS M825VXX 3.1, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01

Info from CPU-Z:

Motherboard:
Manufacturer - ECS
Model: M825VXX
Chipset - VIA P4M266/KM266
Southbridge - VT 8235

Bios:
Brand - American Megatrends
Version - 7.00T

I use BIOS Wizard and here is the BIOS info I got:

Manufacturer: American Megatrends
Id: 62-1227-009999-00101111-040201-VIA_K7
Date: 12/27/02
Chipset: VIA 82C3116 rev 0
cp
BIOS Guru

are you sure the CPU is working? did you test it in another mainboard?

your mainboard is a PCChips M825. their support site is down right now, an internet search should take you to the support site as soon as they are back up. my advice: get the latest bios, flash it and retest the cpu.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
ojtwelve

No I am not sure the CPU is good, however I would love to upgrade the bios so that I can rule out the bios being the issue.

Thanks very much with your assistance. You are the first person that was able to easily identify what my board is. I jsut need to get the most updated bios for the board.

Thanks.
cp
BIOS Guru

ojtwelve

Thanks.

I have never done this before. Is there any harm involved. If there is what precautions should I take and can I revert back to old bios if the new one does not work?
cp
BIOS Guru

ojtwelve

Hello,

I am getting ready to do the bios upgrade tonight however I was wondering if my motherboard can take a max of 266FSB how can it support the Sempron processer per the Bios upgrade link you provided. Just want to make sure I am using the right BIOS update for my motherboard type.

http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Do ... =0&LanID=2

THanks again..
Denniss
BIOS Guru

This seems to be a family Bios supporting several motherboards. Some of them seem to be able to use FSB333 AKA 166 MHz.
cp
BIOS Guru

System Model : ECS M825VXX 3.1
V3.1 bios is here:
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Do ... =1&LanID=2