Intel Pentium M upgrade

Don't ask how to over-clock.
k-toe
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey guys,

I own a Sony Vaio V505 laptop. It was originally equipped with Pentium M 1.7 - 0.13micron processor with 1mb L2 cache. I recently purchased a Pentium M 2.1 - 0.09micron with 2mb L2 cache. The chipset on my motherboard is intel 855PM.

I made an extensive research that everything should work once I pop the new cpu in. However I am running into a little problem.

Once I upgraded, all the software actually recognizes the CPU as 2.1, but it actually runs at 600mhz. I tried everything and it just dont go beyond that speed.

I ran the Intel Processor ID utility and the CPU is expected to run at 2.1ghz but it reports at 0.6ghz

I talked to sony support and they told me that I have to play with the jumper setting on the motherboard, do they even have those anymore?

Anoyher sony technician told me that the cpuid is not loaded on my bios, only 1.5 1.6 and 1.7 is by factory, so I have to find someone who can manually modify my BIOS.

My bios is Phoenix FirstBIOS Notebook Pro v2.0

I tried updating the microcode with the intel processor update utility, it actually did update the microcode, however nothing changed.

At this point, I am pretty much stuck :(

if anyone has any information or idea on how to approach this issue, I'd highly appreciate it. Thanks
k-toe

Anyone?

I just hate to waste 500 bucks, please send me some ideas.

Thanks
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

First thing that comes to mind is the RAM.

1) What is the FSB requirement of the replacement CPU?
2) Does the board support the replacement CPUs FSB?
3) Does the RAM installed officially match the FSB requirement of the replacement CPU?
4) Have you adjusted any BIOS or board jumpers to accomodate any change in the FSB. Sometimes when you install a CPU you have to configure it in the BIOS setup (both the CPU settings and FSB settings).

This may all sound fairly obvious however it could be something simple that you overlooked.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Have any luck?
malon123

1> The CPU is 400FSB(2.1=Pentium M 765)
2> Yes, I have done it on my V505...
3> Yes...
4> There is no jumper on the mobo, there is no such setting in the BIOS

The problem is the BIOS doesn't recognize the CPU and it will set the multiplier to the minimum-6x to assure safe operation.
The solution to this problem is to add something to let the BIOS KNOW the CPU and set it to the right multiplier - 21x.
JT

Sounds to me like your BIOS does not have the Dothan microcodes. If that's the case, the only solution is to find a BIOS with the microcodes, or add them manually to your existing BIOS.