New Computer, but CPU is not fast enough...

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Hagi
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

i bought me new parts of a computer, a new motherboard, cpu and ram. So I put together everything right, and the computer works now fine.
The problem is, I bought a AMD Athlon XP 2700+, but when I start the machine, my bios sais something with 1500+.
So I checked the bios settings and thats the point I don't know about. I am not sure witch points are relevant. For now, I copied these 3 entries:

CPU Extrenal Frequency (MHz): 100 MHz (I can choose between 100,133,166 and 200).

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting: Auto (I can chosse between Auto and Menu)

CPU Frequency Multiple: 13,0x (It's grayed, but I can change it when I set the second point to "Menu")

In fact I dont wanna make anything wrong, so if someone can say what I should do, that would be very helpful.

Specs:
-AMD Athlon XP 2700+ with 333MHz FSB
-ASUS A7N8X-X Motherboard (CPU FSB Jumper set to "FSB400/333/266")
-Phoenix Bios
-I have installed all drivers that came along with the new parts

Thanks very much for your help.

By the way: I also checked the CPU speed with SiSoft Sandra and it seems like an 1500 CPU....

Hagi
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Set the CPU External frequency to 166.
2x166.6 = 333
Hagi
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks but why is it the "half"?

I mean, on the CPU package was something standing about 333 FSB or so, but how come the bios needs the "half" value?
Its not very user friedly,.....

Thanks a lot
Hagi
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

The CPU external frequency or "Front Side Bus" (FSB) speed is what is actually generated by the clock chip. It is then divided to give clocks to PCI and AGP*. It is multiplied by the "CPU multiplier" on the CPU to give the raw CPU clock speed. It is multiplied by 2 to give the memory bus speed for DDR memory; so 333MHz means it suports DDR memory with FSB of 166.6 MHz.
It's all marketing....multiply by 8 to get the DDR bandwidth - "PC2700" meaning 2700 bytes/sec with 64bit (8 byte) data width.

*Usually. Sometimes they can be "locked" to a fixed speed to prevent overspeed when overclocking, though some early AMD CPUs did not like this.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Denniss
BIOS Guru

FSB333 = 166MHz in reality
FSB400 = 200MHz in reality

You'll see the same with graphics cards - 1000Mhz DDR memory clock is 500MHz in reality