new cpu installed, will not boot!

Don't ask how to over-clock.
official_style
New visitors - please read the rules.

so i have been working on upgrading my medion desktop, its the medion MD 1294. i belive it has the MD5000 motherboard. i bought a bios upgrade from esupport.com. this was supposed to let me use a faster processor, with more ram. i purchased a P4 3.06 northwood 478. this has the HT. so when i put the cpu in, and try and boot, it displays the processor info, then it hangs. i cant even get into the bios setup. it hangs before it says press f1 or del to enter setup. when i put the 2.8 processor that came with it back in, it boots perfectly. any suggestions?
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Are you sure that the new processor works at the same voltage of the older one?
Try to find if the motherboard support the new processor: read the manual or find it on internet.
May be also a jumper settings problem.
official_style

well i did a little research. my motherboard is a medion MD5000...
aka MSI MS-6701. i am waiting for a new heatsink/fan, and then will try clearing the cmos. are there any settings to try out with in the bios?
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Check if there are any jumpers on the board that are used for specify the appropriate settings (physically) for the processors (such as voltage, frequency, and so on...) You should find all jumpers position in the manual of the board.

If the board is jumper-free you can only try to clear CMOS, after installing correctly the processor and the heatsink.
official_style

cleared the bios, now when i power it up, nothing comes up on the screen. the video card screen that normally comes up first does not come up. put back in the 2.8, and it starts perfectly.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I am not familiar with the specifications of your board but it sounds like the board is incompatible with the new CPU - with new boards you can normally change processors without changing board settings. Two things to check though:

1) Sometimes there is a jumper that needs to be changed so that the board can configure to the new CPU. If this is required, the board may be locked into the 2.8 CPU and looking for the 2.8 CPU even when the new CPU is physically installed.

2) Hyper-threading. Does your board support hyper-threading? Hyper-threading is a function of both (supporting chipset and hyper-threading CPU) as well as the primary CPU. If the old CPU was a non hyper-threading version the board may not support hyper-threading, in which case the new CPU and your board would be incompatible.

In any case, I hope you get to the bottom of this. Will be interested to learn the result so please provide feedback on your final verdict.
official_style

there is basically only one jumper on the board, it is to clear the bios. when i bought the bios upgrade from esupport, they said it was supposed to add hyperthreading support, this is one of the reasons i bought it. i am going to have to sit on hold with them and see what the problem is.
official_style

got a new bios from esupport.com and installed it. same problem. blank screen when i power it up. maybe the processor is bad? how can i get it tested?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Are you sure your board is what you think it is?

In your initial post you were not 100% confident on the brand and model.

If you have a BIOS and board mismatch this would explain why the new BIOS is not working.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If you post your BIOS String and BIOS Message someone may be able to verify your board ID for you.
official_style

yes i found out exactly what board it is, its a medion MD5000...
aka MSI MS-6701. and the upgrade is supposed to work with Hyperthreading. the processor i have is the P4 northwood 3.06 533mhz. this is all supposed to be compatible. i am thinking maybe the processor is bad?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

This is strange - I cannot find the 6701 on MSI's Global or Australia (same site) websites.

You would think that such a recent board would be easy to locate on the manufacturer's website and checkout.
official_style

i know i couldnt find it either, i think its because it was manufactured by them for medion.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

http://www.medion.com/au/
Drivers and updates (Click More)
Full Text Search for "MD5000"

Then you have two BIOS updates, the same date, the second one appearing to be newer, both addressing "ATA Security Freeze" issues.

Try that BIOS. Maybe this BIOS image is addressing issues that the images you recieved from esupport are not.
official_style

im gonna try this...