Is a Pentium 200 MMX processor compatible with a J-656HXA?

Don't ask how to over-clock.
AtullGupta
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I have tried to install a Pentium 200 MMX processor with a J-656HXA motherboard, which says that it takes 200 MHz processors, although it doesn't specify MMX.

Looking on the Intel website - it APPEARS that all 430HX chipsets take Pentium MMX's, which is what this board has.

But when I put mine in, itt worked for a while and I got the impression that it was overheating - eventually I got a blank screen upon bootup. Putting a 133 PI in, and adjusting the jumper settings accordingly - its working again.

The MMX processor was registered and recognised by the PC when booting previously, but I am worried about putting it back in again, in case the same thing happens.

I've read on the Intel website that you need two voltage regulator jumpers on the main board if it accepts MMX processors.

Can anyone gve me the bottom lie on compatibility - the board is a Jetway J-656HXA.

Thanks,
Atull
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Aren't there jumper settings that specify 2.8V or P55C?
Denniss
BIOS Guru

As suggested before the mainboard voltage regulator has to support the Pentium MMX power requirements : Split volatge with 2.8V and 3.3V .
The old Pentium are running with a single voltage and 3.3V to 3.5V - this will kill a MMX in a short period of time .
-> Check your manual or jumpersettings written onto your board .

Model number suggests something like Jetway, J-Bond or similar named manufacturer .
ajzchips
El cheapo dude