Pentium II OverDrive Microcode Update to AMI BIOS

Don't ask how to over-clock.
Hyla
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I'm from Germany and new here and I hope someone can help me!

At the moment I build a exotic retro computer. I own some rare riser cards (TYAN M2020; Socket 8 to Slot 1 adapter) and rare Pentium II Overdrive CPUs. I want to put the processors on a dual slot1 motherboard Tyan Tiger 2 (S-1692DL), but the AMI BIOS doesn't recognized the CPUs. So they don't work correctly and the the L1 and L2 Cache is disabled.

Image Image Image

I tried to update the microcodes into the BIOS with Intels Checkup.exe, but it doesn't work with this AMI BIOS. I did another try with the German microcode programm CTMC. Same think, doesn't work.

Image Image [Image

I dont have much experience with patching the BIOS. So can someone help me here in this forum and could put the the microcode for the Pentium II Overdrive into the original BIOS image which you can find here:

http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/b_tg_atx.html

hopefully waiting for an answer

and sorry for my bad English, I'm German ;)

cheers

Markus
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

should be able to do that with AMIBCP or AMIMMWIN, both are included in this set of tools:
http://www.rebios.net/biosfile/tool_8_RC1.rar

oh and ctmc should work fine on an AMI bios:
http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin ... 2;t=000118
the only thing I can think of is your bin-file for the overdrive CPU is damaged or the wrong type. Where did you obtain that from?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Hyla
New visitors - please read the rules.

I posted the problem to other forums. People there said, that they used AMIBCP for Windows, but this Version doesn't work with my BIOS image file. Than they used AMIBCP for DOS Version 7.xx ---> This version worked with my image file, but they don't find a microcode module in it.

Someone other said, that in the TYAN manual stands something about AMIBCP version 6.XX . Maybe I should use this one to patch, but nobody find this version in the web?!

For CTMC I used different files with the PIIOD microcode. So I used 1632-02.COD from "ALL_MICROCODES.ZIP" or I used the PEP.DAT from Intel. When I open the files with CTMC it shows all microcode correctly. for example:

but CTMC shows also a message: Microcode Update BIOS: not supported:

Any other idea?

Cheers

Markus
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

allrighty. I have downloaded AMIBCP version 7.60
opened the rom file from tyan, added a module 1632-02 as a type 11h P6 Microcode patch and saved the resulting bios as tyan_od.rom and zipped that up for upload attached to this posting. let me know if it works for you.
Attachments
TYAN_OD.zip
zipped tyan Tiger 2 ATX - S1692S Tiger, S1692DL BIOS with added 1632 microcode for socket8 PII overdrive CPU.
(124.77 KiB) Downloaded 7995 times
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

cp
BIOS Guru

the microcode updates have nothing to do with the processor recognition mechanism. my educated guess: the BIOS doesn't like the CPUID of the P-II Overdrive which is 0x1632. the first klamath cores had 0x0633 and the deschutes cores (which is the core of the P-II overdrive) had 0x0650, 0x0651, 0x0652 and 0x0653. the BIOS could also initialize the P-II overdrive with its Klamath-routines (which are possibly the same as the Deschutes-routines) but it will display a wrong CPU name on boot-up. well...so much for theory. now take a disassembler and start looking for the cpuid and cache-init routines.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Hmmm you learn some every day... Thank you for explaining that bit of info. Let us know how things work out...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything